CBR1100XX.org Forum

PC II mounting.....

urloozn

OK. I just got the new PC II and I was wondering how waterproof they are? It seems that every time I decide to take a trip I end up riding a few hundred miles in the pouring down rain. My question is will it survive? The cables are relativelly short so it pretty much has to ride in the back near the seat latch. Do I need to design some sort of mutant Tupperware box to keep it safe from the rain? or will that cause condensation and more of a problem than sollution? I installed a cigarete lighter loose under the seat for my cell phone on the trip and I keep that wrapped in a baggie with no problem so maybe it would work. Of course, the outlet was about 6 bucks and the PC was $300 so you can see my concern.........

*How's this for a strange occurence: On the way to the Honda Hoot last year it started raining about 25 miles from the house and continued to rain until the day AFTER we got there. Anyway, every so often my tachometer needle would just drop off to zero.....while cruising along at 90+. The engine never hiccupped or bucked or anything but the tach just crapped out for like ten seconds. Then it would slowly come up to about 2500 and jiggle there for a few seconds, then go back to all normal. It did that about 6 times during that trip and has never done it again. Weired, huh?

I simply mounted mine on top of the ECU with the velcro provided (but my bird's never seen the rain). I've seen pics of one of the guys who fabricated a cover. I think Northman or Toxic or CalcXX, can't remember for sure. Search undertail and I think you'll find it.

I have mine velcro'd and held down with that big ass rubber band over the ECU. I have ridden in alot of rain and never had a problem. So dont worry about it, just plug it in!!.

XXTC

Jerry (Motobeagle) fabricated a bracket for his, and I'm still waiting for mine! :poke:

I had mine held down by the rubber strap for the ECU, but the PCII moved around a bit, and damaged the paint on the front of the PC. Still works fine, but looks like shit.

I'm going to screw it down to the fender where the tool kit used to be, and remove some of the plastic where the COM port sits, so I can plug it in without removing it from it's mounting. I think Dave (DBLXX) has his mounted like that.