CBR1100XX.org Forum

Exhaust questions...

Squareman357

This sounds like a fluke, but somehow I caught a rock or something and it hit the left side exhaust pipes top spring and broke it clear off, either that or the spring was under too much pressure and broke of its own accord. Either way, it's gone. I rode like that 'til I got home (some nearly 700 miles on the day with NO idea when and where the spring broke off) and during my post ride inspection I noticed the spring was gone. The bottom spring is still there as are both springs on the ride side exhaust pipe. My questions are...

1. Until I can get a replacement spring, will this affect my exhaust in any negative way?

2. Can I ride with the top spring missing or should I wait until I get the replacement?

3. Can I even get replacement springs? This is a new Two Brothers stainless setup.

4. Just what purpose do these springs serve since the can is mounted to the bike via a metal band anyway? Please advise.

My Two Brothers slip-ons have these springs on them, and they are slack on one side, although not enough to allow them to fall off.

I would imagine TBR would sell or give you a set, or maybe your local dealer could hook you up.

The springs hold the slip joint from the polished forward pipe to the rear can assembly.

- J.

I would suggest you go back and cover the 700 miles again and look for it :lol: J/K

They are there to ensure a good tight fit between the can and mid-pipe.

This will not effect your exhaust in anyway.

I am sure like mentioned above you can probably call the manufactor of your pipes and get some new ones.

The ones on my Leo Vince pipes must be made out of some good stuff. You gotta be a gorilla to pull back the springs :grin:

Dennis Kirk has Moose stainless steel exhaust springs,8.95 $ for pair.

12 lenghts available from 38 to 100mm.I`m prety sure some of the local dealers sell Moose products.