CBR1100XX.org Forum

Engine stumble at low RPMs

TFT

My 97XX has been sitting for about 2 months without being started/ridden. I started it this afternoon to ride it and it seemed like it was running on 3 cylinders. Took it for a couple mile ride. At higher RPMs it seemed to run ok, but at low RPM's it ran like 2-3 cylinders weren't firing.

Any ideas? Should I add seafoam? Is it too late for Sta-bil. Would that even do any good?

I'm assuming its a carb issue.

I think this was discussed a few months ago but I couldn't find the thread.

Definitely run some sort of cleaner thru it, Tom. I have a 1997 as well. Before I had to mothball the bike, I made a point of not filling the tank so I could keep adding fresh gas. One thing you can try, though expensive is going to Fisher Chemical and see if you can get a liter or two of MTBE. MTBE got a bad rep. It's the fault of the leaky storage tanks that it got into the groundwater. It's tough to remove. People forget that it took lead OUT of the environment. I'm doubtful that there's a compound out there that can bond with the ethanol to render innocuous.

If you do end up cleaning the carbs, replace the phillips head float bowl bolts w/Allen heads. The original bolts on my '97 were a bitch to remove. If they never have been apart, you might have to get some float bowl gaskets as well. On the plus side, a carb cleaning and a tune will have your bike singing again.

While your in there check for broken vacuum lines. That will cause a low idle stumble also.