CBR1100XX.org Forum

Steering Head Bearings Tightening

runner

I found no info using the search function....what is the proper way to tighten the birds steering head bearings?

Is there a recommended grease (lithium, etc) to use for these bearings?

thanks

I believe the procedure is outlined in the service manual, or at least it is in my Haynes manual. IIRC there are two torque settings, but I'm not at home right now to look up those figures. Of course, you would have to have the special tool (or a home-made one) to put a torque wrench on.

The old-fashioned way is to set the bike on the center stand and have someone sit on the passenger seat to get the front tire off the ground. Then tighten the steering stem nut just enough to where if you move the handle bars a few degrees either way from a centered position, they will fall to the steering lock. Not sure this is a valid method anymore with all the cables and wires that are attached to the bars restricting movement. Plus steering head angles and fork offsets are a lot less than they used to be, which will counter-act gravity in this situation. If you are hearing a pop from the steering head everytime you get a little aggresive with the front brakes, the bearings need to be tightened or maybe even replaced.

And FYI, don't buy All Balls bearings, they suck.

The lock nut is 18lb-ft (it's the funny castel nut) you tighten it, rock the forks back and forth lock to lock 5 times to seat the bearings, make sure there is no binding. Loosen the nut and retorque it to 18 lb-ft.

If you mean the allen nut, the one at the top then it's 76 lb-ft.

PS I'm using all balls, no problems here with them. I wouldn't have bought them,but a new set came with the bike, and I checked them out before installation.

If you are using roller bearings, you may have to re-tighten them several times, as they are a bitch to seat. I finally just torqued the lock nut to 40lb-ft after the 3rd time, and I haven't had a problem with it since.