CBR1100XX.org Forum

Has anyone ever pack there exhaust with steel wool?

Tetsuo

I was whining to a freind about having to re-pack my single side can every season, when he told me that alot of people in his dual sport club pack with stainless steel wool :shock: It supposidly lasts alot longer.

Anybody have any experiance with this?

I was told to do it on my D&D. Said it would make it alittle quiet.

Well it didn't help, and also from what little bit of condensation that gets into your exhaust when your bike cools down I can only assume that it won't take long for it too start rusting and coming apart.

I would just go buy some regular fiberglass repacking and stick with it.

Just repack with the fiberglass.

As was noted, the steelwool will collect condensation and rust out.

Another item of contention would be that the steelwool will transmit more heat into the canister, possibly causing discoloration or if you have CF, could the added heat cause premature burn out?

LOL that's what I was just going to ask. I still have dual pipes. How often do they need repacking? Is it a difficult procedure? Roughly how much time does it take to do? Lastly, where do you get thefiberglass to repack it with? I'm not opposed to wrenching, in fact I enjoy it, so I have a decent assemblage of tools and what not from working on my car. Does it take any specialized tools?

LOL that's what I was just going to ask.  I still have dual pipes.  How often do they need repacking?  Is it a difficult procedure?  Roughly how much time does it take to do?  Lastly, where do you get thefiberglass to repack it with?  I'm not opposed to wrenching, in fact I enjoy it, so I have a decent assemblage of tools and what not from working on my car.  Does it take any specialized tools?

The only SPECIAL tool you should have is a pop-rivet gun....and some poprivets. You will need to drill out the old rivets and pop in new ones during re-assembly. It is a pretty easy job.....just wear glovers. There are instructions out there somewhere. One of the issues of Motorcyclist had a How To on it within the last year. I am also sure if you goto any of the exhaust companies online, you will find something.

I did my TBR C4 CF at 8000 miles, well I should say I pulled the cans apart.

I found that the fiberglass had hardly been touched by the heat, so I just buttoned them back up.

I will however be changing the packing at the 16,000 mile interval regardless of how everything looks.

The fiberglass packing in your aftermarket cans may or may not last longer. I do believe that this would depend what the manufacturer says, and on how you ride.