CBR1100XX.org Forum

Corroded/oxidized Starter?

Nova Scotia Mike

Hi,

So my 2003 DRZ-400S has sat more than it's been ridden. 1yo battery on trickle charger at least monthly.

Yesterday I go to start it in the first time in forever and it acts fucky. Lights are bright, horn honks with as much authority as it ever did (like a duck with no nuts quacking), but the bike barely turns over when the starter plunger is stabbed. It gave a couple of seemingly struggling clicks then was able to turn the engine over and it fired up on the second or third roll over.

I let it warm up fully then rode it ~30mins to the gas station for a top up of high test. Same fuckiness to get it going after refueling. Half back home, I pulled in the clutch and killed the engine then restated while still rolling; seemed to fire up well. I rode up a dirt trail hill for 5 minutes, then turned around and coasted down killing the engine and re-starting multiple times. I was hoping maybe the switch or started had slightly corroded up from extended sitting in my damp basement, but the same fuckiness did not seem to go away.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike