CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hydraulic Hoses

rockmeupto125

Thanks, guys. Those fitting each cost more than a complete line made up.

I'm not positive what to order, as I'm also in a quandary about the hose size. The one I had made up is 1/4 NPT male x2 with 3/8th's ID and is bulky and very hard to radius. I need to saw the old line apart and see what ID it is. Although the restriction of the 1/4 NPT seems obvious, there might be a flow difference with 1/4 ID line versus 3/8ths...even with the 1/4 fittings on each end. Any fluid dynamics guys in here?

ID increases are easily calculated -- it will increase the speed in which the fluid moves by reducing friction and subsequent functionality of the liquid circuit. Typically, however, there are restrictors in the distribution blocks that make the ID a required minimum but increases in hose ID typically won't do anything positive or negative for you. It is worth looking to see if the hose diameter maximum even matters.

That's about all I recall from my Toro era.

I looked extensively online and couldn't find the answer. I makes sense to me that if you have a foot long hose with a 1/4 inch opening at either end, it will not flow significantly faster with a 3/8ths diameter line. I could accept that there might be friction losses over a length of 10 feet that would indicate the need for a larger ID hose, but loss over the course of a foot doesn't seem realistic. And I'm not smart enough to figure it out today.

I looked extensively online and couldn't find the answer. I makes sense to me that if you have a foot long hose with a 1/4 inch opening at either end, it will not flow significantly faster with a 3/8ths diameter line. I could accept that there might be friction losses over a length of 10 feet that would indicate the need for a larger ID hose, but loss over the course of a foot doesn't seem realistic. And I'm not smart enough to figure it out today.

On that short of a hose you won't notice the difference in flow unless you were to put it on a flow meter. Yes over a 10' or longer hose you would notice the reduction.

I sawed that hose in half (okay, I used a bolt cutter, alright?) and see that the ID of the original line is 1/4 inch. Sooo that's settled.

There ya go. Now get that damn thing back to work..... :icon_biggrin: