CBR1100XX.org Forum

Auxilary lighting

XXBirdSlapper

OK,

Prior to purchasing my Bird I had been looking for a ZZR-1200. My buddy got the ZZR bug from me and ended up at my suggestion buying a really nice 2003. Fantastic machine, with much bigger balls in the mid range along with greater weight. I found my low mileage 1997 CBR and we did some pretty hardcore sport touring last summer. I see the positive and negatives of each and declare it a near draw. However one area the ZZR is way superior is the lighting, particularly on the high setting. I don't want HID, and while the stock bulbs are in now I will upgrade to a better stock type bulbs. Regardless, the reflector design of the bird while good in the 90's is just lacking compared to the ZZR so even with HID's I think the ZZR will still be better.

Anyone have recommendations on ADDITIONAL lights and mounting advice for the bird? Yes, I can experiment and fab, but if someone has already done the work I will gladly copy it.

Get some silverstar Ultra's to replace the stocker.

also remember reading over ten years ago that the stock XX headlight is aimed way down and to turn it up a bit. Think its sitting on a flat surface aiming at a wall with the low beam on. Front of bike should be 20 foot from the wall.

Can't remember if its on the center stand or a buddy sitting on the bike holding it up straight. But you measure that flat line the XX produces where the light stops and aim up the headlight to a certain height. Cant remember the height, but remember raising mine up 8 inches. Buddies XX didn't need as much but still turned it up 4 or 5 inches. Both bikes were sitting side by side aiming at the same time.

We did have a former member here that added on auxilary lights on his bike for ironbutt runs. might be able to search for some pics under the user name Warchild.

I went with HID's for 2 reasons.

cost almost the same as replacing both hi and low bulbs with silverstars, stock bulbs were 10 years old and riding to work in the AM hours sucked. Had started giving that orange used up color.

lo beam reflector is very forgiving compared to more modern bikes and cars. So its not scattering the light blinding people.

When you flick over to hi beam at night, really nice.

in all reality as far as legal use of HID's, technically anything other than the oem bulbs are not designed for the stock houseing reflector. Silverstars are technically illegal in anything as they have more light output than oem.

Well like I said, I really don't want HID. And really, even though brighter it is still constrained by the reflector design. That is where the ZZR is way superior, an why I was interested in additional lights.

go with the silverstar ultra bulbs and see about adjusting your lights properly. Should be about $45 or so from your local autoparts store.

I watched Mad Max this morning.. everytime I saw toecutter.. I just kept thinking to myself.. birdslapper is a wierd dude... :icon_biggrin:

the ultra's wont last as long as a regular halogen bulb but they certainly send more light downrange. I put silverstars in all my vehicles as driving to work puts me in the dark coming and going..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't projectors operate independently of the reflector? That could possibly negate one of your objections to HID. After looking at theretrofitsource.com website, I'm going to be calling them to discuss options for the 990 Adventure and probably my pickup (thanks for the link).

My objection is the startup time for HID when used as a high beam. There's an incandescent alternative for the high beam, I'll have to hunt around for the source for them - it's a pretty meaningful difference. Let me know if you're interested - it's posted here somewhere, but I'll track it down for ya.

I don't know if you've ever seen an HID up and running on the 'bird as a low beam, but it's like it was designed for an HID drop-in. Great pattern and cutoff.

Didn't someone rig up something that mounted to the windscreen bolts? Looked unusual to me, but if it worked... I've always thought a 4-LED strip under each mirror would be very effective and not disturb the lines of the bike too much.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't projectors operate independently of the reflector? That could possibly negate one of your objections to HID. After looking at theretrofitsource.com website, I'm going to be calling them to discuss options for the 990 Adventure and probably my pickup (thanks for the link).

My objection is the startup time for HID when used as a high beam. There's an incandescent alternative for the high beam, I'll have to hunt around for the source for them - it's a pretty meaningful difference. Let me know if you're interested - it's posted here somewhere, but I'll track it down for ya.

I don't know if you've ever seen an HID up and running on the 'bird as a low beam, but it's like it was designed for an HID drop-in. Great pattern and cutoff.

Didn't someone rig up something that mounted to the windscreen bolts? Looked unusual to me, but if it worked... I've always thought a 4-LED strip under each mirror would be very effective and not disturb the lines of the bike too much.

Exactly. Basically, to retrofit the housing assembly you cut off the back of the reflector and epoxy the back of the projector housing in. It sounds complicated but it is quite easy. Since you are putting the projector into the reflector housing, you still have full adjustment of the reflector.

I have a stage III kit on my Mitsu Eclipse. It is a bieoxon kit so there is zero "burn-in" time for the high beams. The high beams are controlled by simply flipping a little shutter that allows more light to go above the cutoff line. Basically, the cutoff is moved by the servo.

The benefits are outstanding. Instant highbeams. No burn-in time. And you get two high beams and two low beams.

Make sure you get the right wiring harness to hook up to the battery. This will eliminate any flickering issues that cheap kits w/o wiring harnesses have.

BTW: They are a GREAT small company. If something you get doesn't work, they will make good on it. The same guy usually answers the phone and he will walk you through issues.

Here is a similar retro.... Pretty cool

CBR2.jpg

I had a set of PIAA / Hella Fogs mounted to the front fender bolts of my 97 Bird

I used only one side of the light bolt, came from the inside of the wheel well and through a spacer then into the light. It was nice cause it moved the light pattern with the wheel and looked clean. I'll try to find a pic....

cheap , easy and only required a chrome spacer and a modified bolt to work. Low draw 35 w. - 55w

0000-Kuryakyn-Fork-Mounted-Driving-Light

I had a set of PIAA / Hella Fogs mounted to the front fender bolts of my 97 Bird

I used only one side of the light bolt, came from the inside of the wheel well and through a spacer then into the light. It was nice cause it moved the light pattern with the wheel and looked clean. I'll try to find a pic....

cheap , easy and only required a chrome spacer and a modified bolt to work. Low draw 35 w. - 55w

0000-Kuryakyn-Fork-Mounted-Driving-Light

Have any pictures? This was more to my train of thought.

I admit I may not have seen a HID on a bird. So not sure if they would or would not improve the shortcommings I see. Basicly the horizontal pattern the stocker creates is even more useless when the bike is healed over as half goes into the sky and the rest becomes more narrow and lower on the ground. Even on the level the stocker is way down on effectiveness when speed picks up and makes it most important.

On an HID setup, what creates the pattern if it is not affected by the headlight reflector? If it is the light assembly itself is the pattern adjustable or are there variations available?

Do you have a pic of the type of LED you are referring to?

I like the additional jight concept as it could be dialed in and focused independently.

Saw these on the Busa board...

Clearwater Lights

This looks promising. Anyone have first hand knowledge of how bright these are???????????

I like the additional jight concept as it could be dialed in and focused independently.

Clearwater Lights

This looks promising. Anyone have first hand knowledge of how bright these are???????????

http://www.rigidindustries.com/SR-Q2-LED-L...-p/sr-q2-dr.htm

They might be wider than the 'bird mirror, I'd have to measure. They used to have a 4-bulb, but I don't see it now. I have their 4-bulb cubes, they are unbelievable. Dualsport/adventure bike guys use one spot and one flood to great effect - that's what I have.

These may be of interest as well:

http://www.rigidindustries.com/product-p/91231.htm

I was a fairly early adopter of HID on my bird and have logged around 59,000 miles with one (low beam) and it was one of those first generation jobs. Very happy with output and pattern. Don't overthink it.

Clearwater Lights

They might be wider than the 'bird mirror, I'd have to measure. They used to have a 4-bulb, but I don't see it now. I have their 4-bulb cubes, they are unbelievable. Dualsport/adventure bike guys use one spot and one flood to great effect - that's what I have.

Rigid makes great stuff. If you are going to go the LED flood light, make sure that you are prepared to treat it as a flood. It is not a driving light unless it has a good amount of lenses up front that direct the light.

Without lenses it will blind the absolute hell out of drivers at night.

Rigid makes great stuff. If you are going to go the LED flood light, make sure that you are prepared to treat it as a flood. It is not a driving light unless it has a good amount of lenses up front that direct the light.

Without lenses it will blind the absolute hell out of drivers at night.

True, this. The dualsport/adventure guys use the flood/spot combo as a high beam only (mine is rigged to come on with the high beam, or with the flip of a switch, manually without the headlight at all - great for the euro flash to pass switch on the Punkin'). For use on a dark, empty forest service road, the flood/spot combo is awesome - lights up the roadside with the flood, and punches well forward with the spot. But you're right, it would positively blow out retinas of anyone coming the other direction.

I'm hoping Dualsport Touring gets some of the new SR-Q2 in driving pattern in stock so I can see what the cutoff looks like.

Not to try and convince you of HID, but it is a very effective, inexpensive resolution to your lighting issue. DDM Tuning kits are what, $40?

Not to try and convince you of HID, but it is a very effective, inexpensive resolution to your lighting issue. DDM Tuning kits are what, $40?

Again, can you adjust the beam shape and pattern? On the ZZR1200 I believe the additional lighting is partially responsible with its superiority. The additional patterns with say, two more bulbs/assemblies would seem to pay big dividends.

Clearwater Lights

Are you running these on your off road bike?

Again, can you adjust the beam shape and pattern? On the ZZR1200 I believe the additional lighting is partially responsible with its superiority. The additional patterns with say, two more bulbs/assemblies would seem to pay big dividends.

Clearwater Lights

No, I have the older "dually", a 4-LED cube - one flood, one spot.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/Dually-LED-...p/dually-fl.htm

Clearwater Lights

No, I have the older "dually", a 4-LED cube - one flood, one spot.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/Dually-LED-...p/dually-fl.htm

on your Bird?

Too big and clunky for the 'bird. They're on a KTM 990 Adventure.

I'd like to see those Q2's in person, I don't think there's anyplace on the 'bird but under the mirrors that would be acceptable. If they'd fit there, I might be in.