CBR1100XX.org Forum

Master Fuse

ActionStarCBRxx

I have a short somewhere on my bike. It fried my master fuse link. In order to get at the fuse I had to use a screw driver to pry apart the connectors (top cap with fuse from bottom). Since it was semi melted and brittle I ruined the top/cap/lid and the plastic separating the four wires. I don't see this part separate in the micro fiche at Ron Ayers.com. It looks like they want you to buy the whole wiring harness. RonAyers.com

I know I can buy a new wiring harness from the dealer, or a used one from ebay for half the price. Do you think if I had enough of a short to cook the master fuse that I should be worrying about the wire integrity and should opt for a new harness? Or would a used harness work or just buy a used and cut the master fuse off and wire it in place using soldier? Does anyone have a butchered harness here on the CBR forum that still has the master fuse?

I don't know the cause of the short yet. I suspect it may be the dash lights as they have been blinking on and off for a month now and finally no longer come on. I pulled the fairings yesterday after work and will start trying to hunt down the cause.

Edit for picture of master fuse

Thanks!

Kelly

post-3506-1361388847.jpg

I should have specified I had a 97. It has a red cap/top on it. It's the fusable link between the battery and the starter. In the link to RonAyers its would be where the 20 amp fuse for #27 goes. I think there are six wires total... two in the bottom part of the plug and four in the top half? I don't have it in front of me. I will have my wife send me a picture and I will post it.

The Ron Ayers link you supplied was for a 99 but I saw you had a 97...that's why I asked.

Partsguy (Al) cut a connector off a spare harness he had for me, perhaps luckily, not that one.

Not sure if he posts here but I know he's on the "Premier" board.

Try getting in touch with him and see if he still has it...

Hank