CBR1100XX.org Forum

Radial brakes

runner

Recent writeup in MCNews got me thinking (dangerous)...anyways..would a swap to radial brakes be as good as it sounds?

Combined with a delink it could put the CBXX brakes up there with current superbike brakes....thoughts?

To have radial brakes on a Bird, you would have to do a front end swap. Several members here have done that with ZX-14 forks. Others will work also.

If you just wanted a radial master cylinder, I don't see why that wouldn't work as long as you do the de-link and use either 3/4" or 19mm master. Things that could be problematic would be mounting of the brake fluid reservoir and clearance with the fairing. I do think the master from my Triumph Street Triple would work. Not sure just replacing the master would gain you anything in stopping power, but might have better feel.

• 8 months later...

Finally went with the EPFAA pads. Wow, what a difference. They are worth every penny...they aren't radials...but sure are a huge improvement!

There's a guy doing brembo conversions out of the UK. It's about $500 for the brackets and lines, the calipers are easily found on eBay for $100-150$. The MC you'll need is a 19 mm. Brembo has a RCS19, but one from a cbr600 f3, works too and looks OEM. With all that and some ebc HH pads the stopping power is amazing, one or two finger stopping, and great feel.

Recent writeup in MCNews got me thinking (dangerous)...anyways..would a swap to radial brakes be as good as it sounds?

Combined with a delink it could put the CBXX brakes up there with current superbike brakes....thoughts?

Sure......except for the extra 150-200 pounds they need to stop.

Look at the 2013 Busa. It comes from the factory with Brembo monoblock radial brakes, and it still does not stop as well as any of the superbikes.