CBR1100XX.org Forum

More suspension questions on project bike.

redxxrdr

OK,

I'm still working on this little SV 650.

I put in .95 springs, emulators set to 3.5 turns, and 20 weight oil at 130 mm.

There is a BIG difference in how the bike works on the road and in braking.

BUT.... The bike has had a different rear shock added in the past. I think GSXR 1000.

Searches show that lots of people do this, but most suspension guys say that the shock is 5mm shorter, and undersprung due to

a different position on the swingarm pivot.

I don't have funds to do a penske/ohlins rear right now. So I want to first get the bike adjusted with what I have.

I could just drop the forks 5mm in the tripples, but I don't think that will get be back to the real SV neutral setup.

I have thought about finding a flat place to stand the bike, and measure rake with a digital level. Then adjust the fork position to get back to the factory rake settings.

I can then check rear SAG and see what I have.

I don't have the origional shock.

Does this sound like a plan? Is there a easier, and better way?

My goal is to be safe, and better than stock. Track days are once or twice a year. I'm old and slow, and don't really know a good setup from a fair setup. The bike will be used more for my kids to learn, and a lighter play bike than the XX.

Thanks,

Craig

You didn't say how much you weigh, but judging from the .95 fork springs, I would guess 175-180?

Get a shock from a ZX-10, 2006 or 07, I think. It should have the range of spring and damping to match what you did to the front. BTW, 20 weight oil seems a little thick. Is that what RaceTech recommended? Pretty sure I have 10 weight in mine.

Best thing you can do is go to SVrider.com and do some research.

Yeah,

I wish I had a OEM shock, but they are supposed to be worse than a OEM XX shock.

I measured Rake today and found it at 28 degrees. That's using a 6 inch digital level on a high quality Georgia built garage floor. :icon_whistle:

I lowered the forks in the tripple about 6mm and am reading 25 degrees. The 6mm puts the tubes just above the 5mm setting used on the naked SV.

I figure that my true measurement is + - 3 degrees. It certainly turns in better than it did.

I bought the fork upgrade from Rick at Cogent. This is a 01 SV S and Racetec uses 20 weight.

This is my first time into a set of forks, so I will be learning. I have been lurking SVrider for a while.

My setup is a mixture of Racetec and SV rider information.

It's a start until I can save up the funds for an aftermarket shock.

Thanks guys.

Craig,

Here are a couple helpful Fork spec sheets that RedBird sent me back when I did the fork swap out on my 2003 (gen II) SV650S

I now have a matching 2005 GSXR750 Front end and the 2005 GSXR750 rear shock installed.

She now tracks like it is on rails for those riders who know how to ride her fast in the corners!

SV.ForkChart.pdf

post-77-1355223712.jpg

dropping the front 5mm will Not correct for the shock being 5mm shorter, depending on the linkage ratios, you would needs something more like 15+mm's.

Best thing to do.....

Find a stock SV with a tape measure in hand. Then measure the distance from the rear axle to the tail piece, and compare to yours. Shim yours to correct. This will at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Then... go after re-springing/adjusting the shock you have.

dropping the front 5mm will Not correct for the shock being 5mm shorter, depending on the linkage ratios, you would needs something more like 15+mm's.

Eric,

I agree, maybe even more than 15mm. Hard to tell without knowing what shock is really there.

I grabbed my camera, and took some reference pictures of my shock and compared it to those on Ebay.

Looks like a 1300 Busa shock. The good news is that a stock Busa shock would have a 700 lb/in spring, and some charts that I found show 650-700 lbs required for a 200lb rider on a SV shock. So I might be close. I know that damping and rebound would be different for the SV, but at least I can adjust with this shock.

I have downloaded a Busa operator manual and plan to set the shock to baseline Busa adjustments. I know it's apples and watermellons, but it is a start.

I found one old thread that showed ride height differences from a stock shock to a different one. A 636 I think. There was a pretty drastic change. Problem is, he didn't put a point of reference for his measurements. Just, " I picked a point on the engine and made these measurements".

I will put a tape measure under the seat and watch for a Gen 1 SV to measure. Johns is a Gen 2 and they seem to have changed frames and linkages for Gen 2.

Thanks guys for the info. It is getting better.

Craig