CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fluid changes

TFT

How often should you change the brake fluid or front fork fluid?

I just had it done to my 1997 XX in Arizona and that bike has 26,000 miles on it.

My 1997XX Alaska bike has 24,000 miles on it and I its been at least 4 years since I did the brake fluid, maybe six since I did the forks. I'm not sure about the clutch fluid.

The brake and clutch fluid look pretty clear.

What's the driving force, time or miles?

Maintenance manual for my 01 states 19.2 K miles for brakes and clutch with the * of every 2 years, which ever comes first.

I didn't see a spec for fork oil, but I think it is typically 2 years also. I know it gets thinner with time, making the forks seem soft.

And of course, I have ALWAYS followed this schedule. :icon_whistle:

How often should you change the brake fluid or front fork fluid?

I just had it done to my 1997 XX in Arizona and that bike has 26,000 miles on it.

My 1997XX Alaska bike has 24,000 miles on it and I its been at least 4 years since I did the brake fluid, maybe six since I did the forks. I'm not sure about the clutch fluid.

The brake and clutch fluid look pretty clear.

What's the driving force, time or miles?

generated heat

• 2 weeks later...

I typically try to flush the brake/clutch fluid once a season, and change the fork oil every 15k miles.

My understanding is as follows:

Brake/clutch fluid soaks up water from the air. Typically this is not a problem in a closed system, but it does find its way into the fluid. Combined with the heat of braking, it breaks down, and can cause rust in the internals of the brake system.

Fork Oil gets dirty... road grime, bugs, etc.. end up on the fork tube and make their way into the oil, turning it into sludge. The oil gets thick and can also increase wear of the fork seals.