CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mechanic in SE MI?

CAMOETO

Need to get a couple of things checked out on my XX including a valve check that I do not really have the skills or the time to do myself. Does anyone know a reliable independent mechanic in SE Michigan that can work on XXs?

Need to get a couple of things checked out on my XX including a valve check that I do not really have the skills or the time to do myself. Does anyone know a reliable independent mechanic in SE Michigan that can work on XXs?

Ok now, I know ya'll don't dow *all* of your own work, where to then, the stealers?

Check with your local Honda dealer. Any Honda tech should be familiar with what to do. They all should have the service manual and the 1100 motor is not much different than the 937 or 893 motor that is in the 900RR and 900F.

I had mine checked at Nicholson's in Ann Arbor. I didn't mention earlier because you requested an independent, which I don't have any experience with any.

I had mine checked at Nicholson's in Ann Arbor. I didn't mention earlier because you requested an independent, which I don't have any experience with any.

Did you like them, and how were their rates? I was thinking of using a dealer, but don't want to get ripped off.

I had my valves checked when it was in getting fixed from the theft. I believe they charge one fixed price. If the valves are in spec. you have over paid a bit. If they need adjusting, it is included in the initial price. You should give them a call and verify that is still the procedure.

I forgot about this independent. Zachs Cycle in Milan. I have heard good things about them. No experience though.

I have dealt with many shops (not in your part of michigan as I am from grand rapids area). Dealers generally are flat rate meaning they charge based on manufactures required hours for maintenance. For example a 16K service on an XX would be say 4.5 hours of labor. So if labor rate was 80 per hour then you would be paying 360 for labor which is non taxable, then there is the cost for oil, oil filter, shims (depending on application) and so on. now if it takes that mechanic 8 hours to do the service oh well he is only getting paid the 4.5 hours. Non dealerships it can go many ways, some will charge flat rate, some c harge actual.. meaning if it took 8 hours, your going to pay for 8 hours of labor.

I have dealt with many shops (not in your part of michigan as I am from grand rapids area). Dealers generally are flat rate meaning they charge based on manufactures required hours for maintenance. For example a 16K service on an XX would be say 4.5 hours of labor. So if labor rate was 80 per hour then you would be paying 360 for labor which is non taxable, then there is the cost for oil, oil filter, shims (depending on application) and so on. now if it takes that mechanic 8 hours to do the service oh well he is only getting paid the 4.5 hours. Non dealerships it can go many ways, some will charge flat rate, some c harge actual.. meaning if it took 8 hours, your going to pay for 8 hours of labor.

Thanks guys. I guess I will check with the stealers then :D Rosenau, Nicholsons, and Motor City are closest to me.

Thanks guys. I guess I will check with the stealers then :D Rosenau, Nicholsons, and Motor City are closest to me.

If you try Motor City, give Toynutt a pm. I think he has dealt with them before. May be able to enlighten you. I believe Rosenau also has a dyno, if you have a power commander that needs tuning.