CBR1100XX.org Forum

How do you remove yellow road paint from plastics?

Nova Scotia Mike

On The Samba, VW forum, they use oven cleaner and razor blades to remove paint over old graphics.

They always warn that you should pick a small area that is out of view to test what you are using to strip with.

A big problem is that the XX paint is soft. Many cleaners will remove the bikes paint too.

I would call the DOT and ask what solvents will work on yellow stripe paint. They might know the best one to use.

Road paint is hardcore stuff.

Don't think any chemical you use to remove it wont have some affect on your bikes paint..

Call the people and ask but I have a feeling you will be using some 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sanding it off.

Them claybar kits aren't bad either for paint overspray removal. Don't know how bad yours is sprayed on.

If it makes you feel better I saw a BMW suv a couple months back. Pretty dark gray except for the bright yellow splashes of road paint on the left side. Tires where coated, rims, mud guards and everywhere on the side the mudguards didn't protect from the spray.

Road paint is hardcore stuff.

Some is... some is not.

Working in the field... I can tell you there are a few different types of Road Piant.

1. Water Based, yes just like house piant, it's cheap and easy for us to piant, but it doesn't last that long. Cleans up really easily with Mineral Spirits ( ie. piant thinner)

2. Alkylide (sp?) piant, basically oil based piant, much toucher and harder to remove, but can be softend with Mineral spirits or Naptha VMP.

IF.... it's one of the above, carefully soaking and lightly rubbing will probably work.

Then there is...

3. Epoxy, and 4. Methyl methacrylate paint... both are extremely tough, and a mother fucker to remove. The first, Epoxy, is well just that, epoxy, a 2 part super adhesive hard shell piant. Good luck getting it off without damaging your paint. Then theres the Thermoplastic paint (MM)... it's even tougher than the epoxy.... :icon_doh:

The first 2 are mainly used on secondary roadways... the last 2 are used on Highways etc....

Good Luck. :icon_eek:

Thanks.

WD40 didn't do much at all (although i did not leave it on there for very long) and I'm hesitant to break out oven cleaner and razor blades. I'll try contacting the road crew to see what they say and take it from there.

Thanks

I was given a plastic razor blade from a buddy that worked at a local car dealership- found that plastic pot/pan scrapers work great for the same items (removal of decals, graphics, etc). Have you tried Simple Green? That stuff has a thousand uses, and it smells good :icon_biggrin: