CBR1100XX.org Forum

Shock question.

racer212

As I understand it, a 900RR shock and a CBR600F3 shock are interchangable. Then I heard the rumor that the 900RR shock direct bolts on an XX. Can anyone confirm that?

I bumped into a Lindemann valved Ohlins for an F3 in my garage.

IIRC, the 900RR shock is around 3/4" shorter and requires a hefty shim to maintain rear ride height. I seem to recall Vern (xrated) was one who did this years ago, pretty sure he'll have specifics.

IIRC, the 900RR shock is around 3/4" shorter and requires a hefty shim to maintain rear ride height. I seem to recall Vern (xrated) was one who did this years ago, pretty sure he'll have specifics.

The Ohlins has a fair bit of ride height adjustment and preload. Might work on an XX, not sure. I'm might screw with it or just leave the Penske on it.

There were two different lengths to the 900 shock,92-94,then 95 up something like that.When I first got my XX in 2001 a buddy with a 96 900rr gave me his spare shock so I could lower the bike.Ended up using the adjustable link off the F2 instead.

I just had an early (93 I think) 900RR shock reworked for the bird. The spring is WAY too light so it got a 1200lb replacement. The valving was changed to match the spring and the reservoir hose was lengthened and realigned so I could mount the reservoir under the seat. The replacement spring is a wee bit shorter than the stock (apparently OEM springs are oddball lengths) so it took a few shims and a spring bearing to make it fit properly.

It works quite well, way better than the original as it was built for my weight/style. Maybe not quite as well as a Penske, Ohlins or Elka, but it cost about 1/3 what those do.

So to answer your question (finally), yes the early 900RR shock will fit, with some rework. There is more to consider than just the eye-to-eye length though; spring rate, valve settings, shock stroke and the bike's leverage ratio all must be factored in. Just because it will fit doesn't mean it will work.