CBR1100XX.org Forum

Scratching noise. Update.

everydayrider99

I recently posted a topic on Bad mpg, did some typical maintenance to the bike. Chain, sprockets, cleaned clutch rod, bleed clutch, spark plugs, air filter, vacuum tubes, FPR, fuel feed hose, think thats about it. Anyway.. I have noticed on start up there is a a mild scratching sound from what sounds like the front right side of the bike. Maybe near the clutch. Kind of like if if two metal plates were spinning and lightly rubbed each other. Or almost like a sucking of short bursts of air quickly, like if you did it through your teeth.(Don't use your imagination) I wish I could record it, but I don't think it would sound the same with my camera. The sound lessens as the bike heats up.

Everything feels great besides the noise. Much smoother everything. Can't update on mpg yet.

When I cleaned the clutch rod I noticed there were identifiable lines running perpendicular to the length of the rod. I did not take note which end goes in first. Does this matter? It seems perfectly uniform in shape and what not, but I cant think of what else I might have done to cause this. Any help would be appreciated.

i've piggybacked on that thread... thanks for that, i'm learning along with you.

your description of the sucking sound reminded me of the time my '97 coughed off a vaccum line to the carb on the right side. does the sound kind of pulse? although yours is f.i., are you confident you didn't miss any vaccum lines?

That was my first thought, double checked all vacuums. And since the noise subsides as the bikes warms up, I feel it has to be something else. I am not too worried about it honestly, the bike feels great. As long as everything feels mechanically sound and it isnt throwing out codes at me... besides the knock of course, I am happy. I am glad my previous thread was of some use to people!

• 3 weeks later...

Well it didn't happen after the sprocket change, but it did happen after the spark plug change.

When hurrying to my air box back on, I failed to notice one of the bottom hose clamp under the box was spun in a way that put the little tabs you squeeze under the air box. Thus not seating properly above spark plug 4. That little sucking noise was coming from a tiny crack under the air box.

Note to self, don't be an ass tomorrow while re-jetting my Magna. If anyone here has experience with carbs from a V4 and wants to shoot me some tips, please do. I will be up reading V45 Magna forums for awhile.

If anyone here has experience with carbs from a V4 and wants to shoot me some tips, please do.

While I don't have any tips, after doing them on my old 84 1000 Interceptor I can tell you that they were a pain. The fuel was run from one carb to the next by a hard plastic pipe with O rings on each end. One broke, no fun. Yours may be different.

No hints on the V45. But please take pictures. My 87 VF700 has been sitting for a lot of years and needs to be running again.

I know the stealer said doing the carbs were a bitch. But I think they did a SEAFOAM treatment and gave it back those many years ago.

No hints on the V45. But please take pictures. My 87 VF700 has been sitting for a lot of years and needs to be running again.

I know the stealer said doing the carbs were a bitch. But I think they did a SEAFOAM treatment and gave it back those many years ago.

Hey my man, sorry I did not see your post sooner, I would have taken a bunch of pics. It was much easier than I thought. If I were to do it all over again, it would probably only take 2-3 hours to tear down, rejet, put back together.

Just google search Honda magna Rejet, and there are several guys who have taken step by step photos and instructions on the magna. The VF should be very similar, and possibly more simple as it is a bit older.

http://www.shotsnapped.com/public/carburetor/ ....... for instance.

All carbs function nearly the same. If the bike is old and has been sitting, it is going to waste not being used anyway... might as well learn on it.