CBR1100XX.org Forum

CHANGING THE GEARING ON THE FRONT SPROCKET

TFT

What is the advantage of going from the stock JT 17T front sprocket to a JT 18T front sprocket? Is it something i should consider?

Seeing as I am going to replace the chain and sprockets I thought I might consider the change.

Have any of you guys done it?

How does it affect performance and gas mileage?

Should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks for the help.

Performance down, Gas Milage up.

Supposed longer Chain life, but can't confirm.

Me, I didn't like it. Went back to 17

but then again.. I live at 6500 feet elevation and CAN feel the difference with only a 1 tooth change on the rear.

OH and the JT's are non dampend.. so they sing.

Advantage:

Slightly less busy/noise at highway speeds.

Slightly better mileage.

Theoretically better chain wear, but there's so many variables its pretty hard to confirm.

Disadvantage:

Accelerates when given throttle at highway speed rather than surging forward.

I ran 18t for some time, may still be, I don't know. I didn't find any problems with it. That included 2-up clutching off in the hills of Tennessee. I am a plebian drag racer and found no consistent difference in my times whether using a 17 or 18.

Everyone pretty much gave you all the reasons.

I've had 16T 17T and 18T on the front. Between 17T and 18T I find very little difference in acceleration(slight loss), but does drop the RPM a bit on the highway for better fuel economy. Only thing I don't like about the 18T is in our stupid school zones(30km/h) that are pretty much everywhere the RPM are a bit low for me liking. One thing everyone seemed to miss is for most people it fixes the speedo error but it's not a big deal.

I have to order a new chain sprocket set soon and I'll be getting a 16T Front and a 18T and swap them when I'm going on highway trips.

I went +1 on the front and -1 on the back. Gained about 3-5 mpg. Noticed a little less pull on acceleration. It was a good trade for me as I commute 70miles of highway per day and losing a little acceleration from the 'bird ain't a deal killer.

I put an 18T on the front. There is still more acceleration than I need (as proved on US129 and nearby roads last week). I get 37-40 mpg in all-around riding with side cases installed. I also found that the speedometer is now dead accurate, checked against my GPS, whereas Honda normally sets the speedos 5-10% optimistic.