CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ticking... Almost sounds like a lifter. HELP!

ksucrow

So my 97 BB with 19k miles on it, started ticking today... It's most noticeable from the right side and didn't start until I left it idling while I was locking up at work. When I came back it it had a very obvious tick that almost sounds like a valve hitting or a lifter maybe? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and can do a lot, but this one definitely has me worried. I can hear it in every gear while riding up until the higher RPM's (probably because the exhaust drowns it out...)

I thought maybe CCT, but I'm hoping that someone may be able to help and tell me for sure. Maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about. It's VERY noticeable and isn't just a light tick.

One other thing. The bike has been sitting for a while...

Thanks!

Is it a tick or a rattle? CCT should sound like marbles in a tin can from about 3-5k rpm. If it is a distinct tick and not the rattle, I would say no to the CCt.

Back in September right before I put in storage. Yesterday was the first time it's been ridden since then. I have oil sitting on the counter ready to change it, but was going to do it this weekend. No signs of oil loss on or around the bike all winter.

So its a steady tick that corresponds to engine rpm? Is it present at all times except instances when other noises should realistically be louder...such as exhaust or wind noise related to speed and higher rpm?

That eliminates the chassis and running gear, leaving us with the engine.

Does it vary in frequency or tone? Can you do anything that causes it to stop or change character, such as pulling in the clutch, or loading the engine with the brake on while clutching off?

Is it remotely possible you are hearing a noise that's been there all along, but you are hearing now because you're critically examining the XX after a winter of not hearing it run?

Does the bike seem to run well otherwise? Did you check the oil? Can you feel the tick in the footpegs and bars, or just hear it?

If it was my bike and the oil seemed alright, I'd take it out for a few hard acceleration runs and change the oil, then re-evaluate.

There's no history of such a noise/condition with the XX that I'm aware of.

Replace the CCT and ride it man. Don't worry, its a honda. :)

Think about how many noises our cars make w/o us even noticing because there is a sound insulating engine compartment. A bike is a bit misleading because its right there and you can see and hear everything.

This morning I conquered the ticking... I gave the bird a fresh oil change with synthetic, and thanks to John's quick shipping, replaced the CCT. The bike is purring like a very loud kitten now and runs like a new bike all over again. Thanks to all for assistance and the reassurance! I wouldn't have had a clue where to start without you.

Exhaust gasket. Or bad Pair reed valve if you still have those in.

Will sound like a bad lifter. Very rythmic ticking.

CCT is irratic rattling.

Edited: Sorry didn't read the full thread.