CBR1100XX.org Forum

Factory Front Sprocket

MadOx

The front sprocket from the factory has some kind of molded in material that looks like a buffer between the splined drive shaft (ID) from the motor to the outer sprocket where the chain teeth are. Time for a new sprocket/chain set but I see no two material sprockets out there.

Do you need the buffer? If so is there anywhere to buy one except a factory one from Ron Ayers or somebody?

Thanks

The rubber piece on the sprocket is just to help with noise. You don't need it but can get the same sprocket from honda 17 tooth and it was also used on the older VFR bike if they don't have it for the XX.

I replaced my front with sprocket without it and don't notice it any.

I don't know the yr of the VFR (probably early 2000's) but look on ron ayers or bike bandit at the VFR's and see if they got it.

You can use iirc almost any year VFR from 86 to the VFR800,but remember those are 16t.Part #'s are 23801-ML7-??? or 23801-MW3-???,(? because I'm doing it from memory).They cost about 3x the price of a good quality aftermarket sprocket.

The VTR also used the same cushioned sprocket in a 16 tooth. The only difference I have noticed is that the cushioned sprocket is *perhaps* a tad quieter. And you'd probably only notice that with a new chain anyway.