CBR1100XX.org Forum

clutch/tranny question

mrhappy

hello all, xx is my first i4 bike with shared motor/tranny oil(came from bmw boxers), so i am pretty certain i have an issue starting to surface, 97 bird, at idle tranny is getting loud(louder than it used to be) clutch lever in no noise, lever out you can hear everthing spinning with chatter/small bag of marbles, not a big bag yet. if it were one of the boxers i could start to point fingers at what is failing, not the bird, i dont know enough about it/never had an issue. so what do you think.

thanks for looking,

brian

Cam chain tensioner is very problematic and makes a sound like you describe....easy, cheap fix

Clutch basket, especially on carbed bikes makes a racket on some too...

This lessens as the motor warms up and idle speed comes up....

Seems to be less noisy on FI bikes as the Fi automatically controls idle speed during warn up

By mentioning the clutch lever decreasing the noise, it sounds like the clutch basket...

I don't know that its worth fixing...

Mine is noisy as hell but functions perfectly.

Cam chain tensioner is very problematic and makes a sound like you describe....easy, cheap fix

Clutch basket, especially on carbed bikes makes a racket on some too...

This lessens as the motor warms up and idle speed comes up....

Seems to be less noisy on FI bikes as the Fi automatically controls idle speed during warn up

By mentioning the clutch lever decreasing the noise, it sounds like the clutch basket...

I don't know that its worth fixing...

Mine is noisy as hell but functions perfectly.

cct done soon after i bought the bike, not cct noise, noise is only present when warmed up, i would agree on the basket at idle, but the harmonic noise at speed and deffinate off throttle in gear coming to a stop (3-4k @ 20mph),,sounds like tire noise but is not, if i pull clutch lever in all noise stops,, if it were the beemer i would pass go and go directly to a bearing,,any weak ones in the xx??

thanks

Id have to agree that the cam chain tensioner sounds like the culprit. The clutch on the bike stock is relatively quite, if you put in an aftermarket clutch or for some reason when you replaced the clutch with stop places there is a jutter ring and spring plate in there behind the last plate that reduces clutch noise. If these are removed the clutch is slightly noisier.

Id have to agree that the cam chain tensioner sounds like the culprit. The clutch on the bike stock is relatively quite, if you put in an aftermarket clutch or for some reason when you replaced the clutch with stop places there is a jutter ring and spring plate in there behind the last plate that reduces clutch noise. If these are removed the clutch is slightly noisier.

i am not so sure about the cct, but it may be i guess, i put a new honda lifter in about a year ago,, clutch engaged unloading the cc,, disengaged spinning the tranny,, i suppose its possible, its the harmonic noise and the noise on the coast side of the gears that has me iffy,, i guess i dont want to start throwing parts at it

thnks for the input,,cct is starting to mak sense,,, if that is the case, apparently the honda upgrde sucks, any sugestions?

Don't discount this: one becomes focused on something, and it's suddenly "there." A kind've "hypochondria" in the owner's mind: They listen hard enough, and the normal XX rattles, clangs, farts, hiccups, and whines make the paranoid listener convinced that their machine is "broken."

All-the-while, it's happy as hell...

That said, if I have to believe something here is busted, I'm going with cam chain rattle on this one. New tensioner or not, it's what you're describing. Simply put, you may have gotten a bad one as a replacement - it happens.

M.