CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID Conversion

Silverbird2

H7 DDM bulb. Yeah it's on the busa.

It was a pretty tight fit with the bulb itself.

I need one

J, is your low beam the projector? Or is the projector the High beam?

The high beam has the projector but it's worthless now since I had to lower the head light to use the HID low beam

The high beam has the projector but it's worthless now since I had to lower the head light to use the HID low beam

I see... that sucks.... OK I'll put the necessary effort into making you "BUSA" guys a shield...

That and well.... it's you. :icon_biggrin:

My first thought is the sheild is going to be relatively easy.... getting it to attach to your bulb on the other hand, and sliding in the housing all nice and pretty like... might be the challenge.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to make a smaller Diameter sheild, and then you might have to melt/heat press it into the H7 plastic bulb base.

ELVXX, while I have no complaints with the DDM tuning setup I have, I'd be interested in a shield (or shields) for my XX also.

I'm curious to see what happens as I think the light to be fantastic now...

I use a pair of the 55 watt ballasts with 5000K bulbs, obviously low and hi beams.

Just lemme know what I owe you if you feel like making a pair for me.

Thanks, Hank

Eric, do have any recommendation? Do you fab any shields for other bikes? Mine is the low beam and is not a projector type.

The sheild I make fits on the H7 DDM Bulb... and I know it fits into the XX headlight housing.

I have no idea if it could be installed on any other bike that has the H7 bulb....

The XX headlight housing actually has a just a "little bit" of an oversized hole for the bulb, and there in lies the why and how of my bulbs sheilds fitment.

What bike do you have... the Busa ?

If someone could come up with a way to make them that wasnt as involved as the way Eric did it might be worth doing.

J,

I figured I would just make you one.... that way you won't be blinding me in my rear view mirrors. :icon_razz:

It would be like making it for myself in a way.......

Either that or.... I just won't slow down on the straight aways...

LOL.

You know you like it from behind.

Alright, finally getting some answers on the busa board... fella called it a "Casper Shield".

Eric, are either of these similar to what you have fabricated?

post-2218-1332436414.jpgpost-2218-1332436415.jpg

I need one

J, is your low beam the projector? Or is the projector the High beam?

Just buy a used HID projector housing and lens. You can easily get 2 for $100-150 and then you have a system that you can accuractly adjust, put the light infront of you instead of all around you, and you will not blind others.

ebay or hidforums FS section

Here is a complete bi-xenon kit for $150 (bulbs, shrounds, projector, ballasts) Super good deal if you have headlight, or would like an additional high beam with your halogen.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_i...products_id=927

That kit you posted a link to .... would be an incredably difficult retro fit to put into the XX headlight. Then.. I'm not sure you would really gain anything.. over using the DDM tuning Bulb and one of the sheilds I make.

Using Erics shield, and then properly aiming your headlight will reduce the glare and scattered light from blinding others which will not make you obvious to having aftermarket lights. You will loose some light (20%) with the shield. Still brighter than stock bulbs or bright bulbs like Silverstars.

Using the sheild I make... you will not loose ANY of the light that is in the beams focus patern.

The only thing my bulb shield does is stops the unfocused light that is coming off of the end of the bulb. If you look at a standard DOT H7 bulb, you'll see that the tip or end of the bulb is covered with ceramic piant. The HID H& bulbs has no covering, and due to the light intensity and heating issues involved, it can't... so don't go trying to piant your bulbs. They'll crack and break. Again.. hence why I made the sheild.

I live in a town that has the City, County, and State Patrol headquartes all within 3 miles of each other... I pass and follow officers every day.... day and night, and I have never had one of them pull me over because of my headlight.......... again hence why I built the sheild. The sheild STOPS the glare... and puts all of the Light where it was designed to be..... On The Road.

Projectors focus the light very well. Sure you can design a custom reflector, but why?

They are easy to install, i think. Cut off the back of the reflector housing, level the projector in the housing and glue it in. Sure there are lots of details, but i don't find it that hard.

EVLXX, I also have the DDM kit that I haven't installed yet and would be very interested in purchasing a shield for my 2000 XX. If you decide to make some and sell them please let me know.

I'll see what I can do, know that more than just a couple of people are interested in these...

ELVXX, while I have no complaints with the DDM tuning setup I have, I'd be interested in a shield (or shields) for my XX also.

I'm curious to see what happens as I think the light to be fantastic now...

I use a pair of the 55 watt ballasts with 5000K bulbs, obviously low and hi beams.

Just lemme know what I owe you if you feel like making a pair for me.

Thanks, Hank

You only need one on the low beam bulb. I don't have one on my high beam bulb, had one on it for a while, but took it off. For one, you should never have your high beam on if people are within a 1/4 of a mile in front of you, and 2 , I like how it lights up the trees, and houses, and... and... well everything.

J,

I figured I would just make you one.... that way you won't be blinding me in my rear view mirrors. :icon_razz:

It would be like making it for myself in a way.......

Either that or.... I just won't slow down on the straight aways...

LOL.

You know you like it from behind.

Hahaha......No.

Alright, finally getting some answers on the busa board... fella called it a "Casper Sheild".

Eric, are either of these similar to what you have fabricated?

post-2218-1332436414.jpgpost-2218-1332436415.jpg

Wow those are interesting... some parts of that design I like, but there's a lot I don't.

I thought I posted pictures of the finished shield in My HID install thread... the link is in this thread,... but the picture in it were first generation, so I see I need to add some more...

Projectors focus the light very well. Sure you can design a custom reflector, but why?

They are easy to install, i think. Cut off the back of the reflector housing, level the projector in the housing and glue it in. Sure there are lots of details, but i don't find it that hard.

The XX headlight focuses the light very well too. I've already designed and built a few of the sheilds, and the why.... because it keeps the install incredably easy... as easy as taking the HID bulb out and putting it back in.

Not to mention... I personally don't think the XX would look good with a projector.

think the XX would look pretty slick if you painted the reflector shield flat black or sprayed some underspray on it and mounted the projector lights on it.

or if you bought an aftermarket nose cone with the headlight hole not cut out and do a Ducati 999 style headlight setup..

Be interesting to see what you come up with Eric if you alter your design. Still waiting on my HID's to make the boat ride from China. :icon_biggrin:

Well, The metal has been ordered, and delivery confirmation says this next week.

So... I might be able to start the process next weekend... but that's a big Might.

In reality... I still have a lot more work to do before I can reproduce these things repeatedly... Not to mention I'm elbow deep in a completely different project at the moment.

so please... give me some time, 2-3 weeks probably, and I'll do it.

For those of you who will be installing new kits, my suggestion is go ahead and install them, when I get the shield to you, it will be a very simple install, as simple and easy as changing a bulb for the XX guys. For the Busa guys... well it should be simple and easy, but we will have to wait and see, but I can't imagine it being too difficult.

no problem. I took the front end apart yesterday to just look around and do some cleaning. I will probably be installing mine the same way RichardCranium did on his XX. Will just have to move a wire harness from the front to the back of the fairing stay. Will make a couple small plates to mount to the fair stay for the ballasts to be secured too.

Thought about maybe ordering some HID's for my car, already have the projector thingy on it.

Well, The metal has been ordered, and delivery confirmation says this next week.

So... I might be able to start the process next weekend... but that's a big Might.

In reality... I still have a lot more work to do before I can reproduce these things repeatedly... Not to mention I'm elbow deep in a completely different project at the moment.

For those of you who will be installing new kits, my suggestion is go ahead and install them, when I get the shield to you, it will be a very simple install, as simple and easy as changing a bulb for the XX guys. For the Busa guys... well it should be simple and easy, but we will have to wait and see, but I can't imagine it being too difficult.

I'm in no rush- if anything, maybe we can shoot for Ozarxx's? All three of us are going to be there, right?

I'm in no rush- if anything, maybe we can shoot for Ozarxx's? All three of us are going to be there, right? An allen wrench and phillips head and the cluster is out.

I'm just not trying to put you out... in any way. Hell, its just the turn of a couple allen bolts and screws to pull the cluster. It rained like a mutha on friday last year.

I started last night. After playing some and looking I am going to mount the ballasts on the side of the air ducts. Think this will make for a cleaner install and when I go to install the bulb shield will make things easier to get to.

Got some 2" X 2" velcro pads with sticky backs to mount that ballasts with.

post-1152-1333024635.jpg