CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another burnt R/R plug

Chewtoy

Went to clean the connections on the starter relay and looked @ the R/R. Yikes! Found 1 yellow stator wire burnt and corroded off the plug.

Can anyone direct me to what's wrong?

And I guess I need (at least) a new plug. Have heard that bartonMD is the source for those. Is that right?

Links to pictures:

http://twitpic.com/84fk98/full

http://twitpic.com/84fg1m/full

Update: Removed plug from R/R, only the 1 stator plug was affected, others look OK. The burnt yellow wire melted the insulation on one other yellow wire, the red/white and green wires are unaffected.

So, for now, it looks like that 1 wire had a bad/weak connection. I need a replacement plug and a bit of solder. Hopefully the stator + R/R are OK.

Update 2: I cut away the charred part of the plug, and wired up a short lead to a connector, then connected the wire to the original yellow wire. The other yellow wire that got a bit burned got taped. Hooked up and it looks OK. It's ugly, but will do for now (I think).

Anyone w/thoughts, please sing out.

Thanks!

14.45 @ 2k

Did it (volts) go higher with more revs or did it stay at 14.45? I would check it up to 5 K just to be sure.

14.24@3k

14.12@5k

Solder and heat shrink. Honda electrics suck from way back when and they still haven't learned anything. Everything else they do makes it worth it.... :icon_biggrin:

Solder and heat shrink. Honda electrics suck from way back when and they still haven't learned anything. Everything else they do makes it worth it.... :icon_biggrin:

Yeah, I'll get some high quality connectors and re-do all the leads this weekend w/solder + Heat shrink.

I'm just glad I caught this before the thing caught fire or killed some expen$ive parts.

Yeah, I'll get some high quality connectors and re-do all the leads this weekend w/solder + Heat shrink.

I'm just glad I caught this before the thing caught fire or killed some expen$ive parts.

I had a similar problem.. rather than leave the connectors there, I did a nice western union splice and soldered/shrink wrapped the whole thing. Been rock solid since. On challenge was the gauge on the wire is pretty thick, so it took some time to get the wires hot enough for the solder to flow. Of course, if I'd had a better soldering iron, that wouldn't have been an issue.

My thought was that if it fails, I'll probalby replace the RR/Stator in combination again, so I didn't mind the idea that I might have to cut the wires.

I had a similar problem.. rather than leave the connectors there, I did a nice western union splice and soldered/shrink wrapped the whole thing. Been rock solid since. On challenge was the gauge on the wire is pretty thick, so it took some time to get the wires hot enough for the solder to flow. Of course, if I'd had a better soldering iron, that wouldn't have been an issue.

My thought was that if it fails, I'll probalby replace the RR/Stator in combination again, so I didn't mind the idea that I might have to cut the wires.

Very cool. Thanks!