CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rec, and what is this???

xxxbirdxxx

Sorry I'm a bit slow on the reply - been drooling over carbon bits and the new seat (and somewhere in there fabricating some custom glass bits for Santiago's NOS kit....)

Doesn't matter which year R1 r/r you use.

Green or black are used interchangably for the ground wire. So long as you don't connect it to the red one :oops: :grin:

The r/r failing is an extremely common problem on the XX - as well as most other Hondas like the VTR, VFR etc. The one's Honda use are crap and burn out all the time. When they go is dependent on the type of riding that you do. City riding/stop-start stuff will kill it faster than long distance stuff. On average, they die at about the 20K mile mark. There's another article linked from the one above that shows how to tell if it's about to die.

Somehing I failled to mention before. I did an autopsy on the XX reg/rec.

It was a real pain, but I got all that semi-hard epoxy rubber sheite out of it without damageing whats inside. Very disapointed. For as big as the unit is, inside is a tiny, about 1" by 1" intergrated circuit. I was expecting to see masive diodes, resistors etc. Definately not up to the current demands of a chargeing system!!! :evil: Of course no cooling fins either.

If the Yamaha reg takes a dump I'll rip it apart also.

• 1 month later...

The other thread on the R1 reg is locked so I'll ask here. And please forgive my ignorance. The dealer indeed only wants $75 for the R1 Rectifier. But they want over $200 for a wiring harness in order to plug in to the damn thing. What did you guys use to adapt to the new R1 Rec? I know one fella mentioned making your own using Spade Connectors. I'm no electrician. I can barely spell the word. Would using the Spade Connectors just entail soldering the individual connectors to the existing XX wires (after cutting off the existing plug) and plugging them in to the R1 box one at a time? Would a legitimate plug be hard to find at some Electrical supply store? I'm not 100% sure yet that my low voltage (12.6 at idle and 13.2 at 5000 RPM) is due to the Reg/Rec but I hope to know for sure tonight. I just want to get all my ducks in a row in case it is. Thanks for any help.

Spade connectors work fine. A friend of mine did the conversion on the weekend and he said that the R1 r/r uses a stock auto connector, so head to your local car-parts store to look for it.

However, why are you trying to buy new? Just grab one from a wrecker, along with the wiring harness. Should cost you no more than $30.

After reading this thread, I went out to my bike, removed the seat and rear cowl to look at my r/r. First, I measured the voltage at the battery, which was good. I started the bike up and the voltage went up to 14 and change volts. Good.

I disconnected the battery and the plug at the r/r. The plug was an off white color...no burning, fattened, or charcoal wires. If you looked at the r/r in the attachment, mine was the color of the right side of the burned unit. Just an off white color.

Years ago, I had an 83 V65 Magna which left me stranded on the highway. I called a friend, took the battery out, went back to my place to charge it, put it back on the bike, and rode the bike back home. All the while, it was losing power. I check the r/r and it was burnt. $200 for the r/r and $60 for a new battery, I was riding again. At the time, the Magna only had 18,000 miles on it. My 97 XX has just under 61,000 on it and the r/r and battery, (yes...original) still look good.

Great Day!

John

P.S. I wonder if the r/r from the Magna will work? It has cooling fins on it,

the same 5 wire connector, but an extra connector w/3 wires.

Yes it does. A huge fucker actually. I ran into it today while I was trying to fit the frames for my topbox. Bloody thing is HUGE. I've got some photos of it somewhere, but not on the web right now. I need to update that page with the 02 r/r photo. I don't think it will die, but as a replacement for the older bikes, you'll need a different connector (ie one from an 02 bike, which probably means having to buy new).