CBR1100XX.org Forum

Instruments failure

javz

Three days ago, as I started my bike (2004 Blackbird) I noticed that the headlights were dead, and that the inidcators were not working properly, only as hazard lights, no ability to indicate left or right turns. As I was at work and needed to get home, I took my chances and kept an extra sharp lookout whenever I had to turn or do a lane change. Speed helped a great deal to just get away from any danger posed by other vehicles, so engine performance was unaffected, but as I got underway, I soon noticed that the instruments were all dead as well. Naturally I checked all the fuses, as well as the headlight bulb, and could not find anything wrong. I found out later that the HISS can't be activated either.

To summarise:

Headlights, indicators not working

No instrumentation, although the lights came on in the instruments binnacle

All fuses and headlight bulb tested OK

Can't activate HISS

Can anyone give me some idea as to what could cause these conditions?

Regulator/Rectifier. I'm sure others will chime in presently.

Thanks, I'll check that out; I'll also maybe check the wiring, I noticed some bad-looking joins, but fiddling with them did not change the problem, and I need heat-shrink sleeving to properly repair them. But the rectifier sounds more plausible, in my experience, it's good practice to clear up bad-looking joins, but they are almost always disappointingly not the cause of the problem ... :icon_frown:

My bike did this last summer.

No clue as to why. I Jerry-rigged one headlamp to my aux power box, but then on the way to Colorado, everything came back on.

I'm taking the front end apart this winter to check for anything that might have gotten into the instrument cluster or wires to create a short. Haven't had it repeat since. My guess is that something got in there and later fell out. Don't know what would do that.

Regulator/Rectifier. I'm sure others will chime in presently.

Checked the battery voltage before starting: 12,5 V. After starting, at what sounds like maybe 3000rpm (instruments are dead), the voltage was sitting at 14,3 volts. Since the headlights are not working, I couldn't really put any load on the circuit, is this voltage (14,3V) normal, or is this confirmation that the regulator is shot? I would have expected about 13,8V ...?

Two other points to check. The grounding connection on the frame just behind the fuel tank. The connector under the rubber "hood" that goes to the R/R. Mine was corroded and burned up.

Two other points to check. The grounding connection on the frame just behind the fuel tank. The connector under the rubber "hood" that goes to the R/R. Mine was corroded and burned up.

+100

Check all of your grounds. That's the likely culprit.

Does someone have a list of all the ground points to check?

I would only expect the one at the battery ultimately making the whole frame a ground.