CBR1100XX.org Forum

Undertail or Fender eleminator?

dodge7d

An undertail tends to be more expensive, but is a better looking quality piece of ABS that will contain your whole underside of your seat up to and usually covering the rear shock. This is a nice clean appearance but tends to be in the 2-300 dollar range for a decently fitting one.

A fender eliminator kit usually just provides an anchor for your signals, license and maybe your tail light allowing you to cut off the majority of your rear fender. It is not as clean as a look as your whole underseat is as exposed as it was when you had that fender hanging down 8 inches, you just don't have that fender hanging anymore. You still have it up under your wheelwell. These tend to be more resonably priced at perhaps 50-100 bucks for one.

Any help?

I have found that most all undertails are not really undertails as is the case with the Moto-Tech that I paid 330.00 for. Undertails for the most part require you to cut off the rear plastic part thats angles down. The so called undertail then attaches to your stock undertail (fender) and simple covers the stock fender up to about the battery box. The undertail I am working on getting together now is a true stock fender eliminater all together so that if later you want to sell the bike, you have the option of putting the whole stock setup back on.

Most all undertails I have seen create a second layer under the stock fender and hence leave less travel room for the rear tire. Many people complain about an aftermarket hugger then hitting the new undertail due to this second layer being so much lower.

The Moto-Teck under tail on my Bike looks good BUT you have to drill 4 holes into the existing stock tail cowling to hold the new undertail on. I am now stuck with the Moto-Teck unless I am willing to replace the whole stock tail section now or have 4 holes showing.

I don't know what year your bike is, but I have an '03. You're not going to be able to find a fender eliminator kit designed for this year model (and I assume this applies for 2000-3). The 1997-99 have a different rear brake light, so finding a kit for these years, which is possible, won't fit the other bikes.

Some companies sell "one-size-fits-all" kits, but you're going to have to do some cutting and drilling for it to work. Plus, you have to think about where you're going to put that seat key lock because these "one-size-fits-all" kits don't make accomodations for that. If you want a low-cost way to eliminate that God-awful fender, just trim it like most other people do.

Check mine out:

Picture_015.jpg

Picture_016.jpg

I didn't install an undertail on my bike because I heard about problems with the rear wheel bottoming out on it.

Joe

I don't understand your thinking. It doesn't matter what the shape of the taillight is as long as the tail cowling section is the same. The undertail is going to get rid of the taillight anyway. This particular one does not go over the existing fender, instead it replaces it completely from the back of the Tank all the way to the rear tip of the tail cowling. This way it is the same height os stock and you get rid of the clearance problem of most so called undertails. This one bolts directly to the subframe and replaces the entire black plastic that is now bolted to the subframe, which includes the battery box. It even has the brackets for the electronics to attach same as stock.

Some one needs to check and see if the Honda Part number for the Tail cowling and the subframe is the same from 97-03.

I agree with you Northman. I wasn't refering to your post. This particular undertail is "suppose" to be proven in both Europe and S.America to fit all years of birds perfectly. I am trying to prove it to myself before I carry them myself or sell them to anyone else. It does make good sense but I would like to verify the Honda part numbers for the subframe and tail cowling as consistant through all years for self satisfaction.

Previous to your post, it was stated that you have to have different undertails for the different years due to the light shape change and that does not make sense to me if the light is going to be replaced regardless of the year.

Hey John, I think you're referring to my post. If you read it carefully, I was only talking about the fender eliminator kits. The undertail is a different story. I can't say much about those because I never seriously investigated the form/fit/finish compatability with all year models.

All the FI bikes (99-up) are the same as far as fender fitment and tail lamps.

Thanks for correcting me Northman. My earlier post should read "1999-03."

By the way, does anyone know what's up with the '04's?

Joe

IMO the Fender Eliminator isn't worth it. They are overpriced for what you get. I put one on and am less than happy with the fit(97XX).

If the undertail that John is looking into works out I will probably go with that.

Some one needs to check and see if the Honda Part number for the Tail cowling and the subframe is the same from 97-03.

I'm sure the part #s are different, but from experience, I know that all of the tail cowls are interchangeable, and the only difference in the subframe, that I've found, is the bracket on the left side that holds the reg/rec. Other than that, they are identical.

The fender/undertray is obviously a whole different story.