CBR1100XX.org Forum

Finally got stranded

The Krypt Keeper

Was taking my 14 yr old niece for a ride out to lunch for her birthday. So decided to take some back roads to a small town to avoid traffic and black friday shoppers.

25 minutes into the ride I saw an object in the road maybe 15 feet of reaction distance. Well I missed it with the front but not the rear.

Got about a mile down the road and fell the rear go limp. Eased down the road to the first possible pulloff or driveway. Nothing but curves and muddy filled ditches on this narrow ass road.

Called home to the wife to get her brother to grab my truck and his trailer and straps to come rescue us. While waiting I pulled out the chunk of metal, and took two plugs to patch the hole. Got my little compressor out and got about 20 psi into the tire to allow up to roll it up and off the trailer.

Sad Sad day. I have owned my XX for almost 10 yrs and not once has she ever had to be trailered.

post-1152-1322263134.jpg

post-1152-1322263193.jpg

I lost a rear a few years ago about the same way. Gash was at least one inch across. I heard a loud bang when I hit whatever it was.

The Pilot road I was running was only 500 miles old. The bike handled well for no air.

Good on you for being safe. Punctures suck, but a safe ending makes it a little easier to swallow.

Yeah I got a 4" nail in the rear PR2 a couple of years back and it was feeling really weird on the way home, when I finally looked it had gone in on the RH 1/3 of the tyre but skewed out and hit the edge of the rim :icon_wall: Only had a couple of thousand km on it too :icon_sad:

Yeah I got a 4" nail in the rear PR2 a couple of years back and it was feeling really weird on the way home, when I finally looked it had gone in on the RH 1/3 of the tyre but skewed out and hit the edge of the rim :icon_wall: Only had a couple of thousand km on it too :icon_sad:

I had another 800 miles maybe left in this set of tires. Normally only get 4000 - 4500 miles out of them.

• 3 weeks later...

The bike did not leave you stranded. Your utter lack of guts and courage to ride home on a flat rear tire did. :icon_whistle:

I can see the beating her mother would have given you if you did. :icon_evilgrin:

You are a smart man.

As for ruined tires....800 miles on a brand new Freightliner and come around a curve in the road and what do I find ????

A pallet load of 5 gallon pails (double-stacked) of brand new rail road spikes had fallen off a utility trailer and the contents were scattered from 1 side of the road to the other.

All I could do was nail the brakes, release them as I hit the obstructions and coast on thru. One tire had one thru the outside edge of the tread and the pointy end had hit the steel belts and was deflected outwards and was sticking out the sidewall. With no loss of air pressure. I had to pull it out (very hard) and drove to the nearest Michelin dealer to get a new tire.

They were amazed that it still held air. So was our shop foreman when I gave him the tire with the spike re-inserted. He actually mounted it before he would believe me. It hung on his wall for years.

them big truck tires are super cheap also.. buddy drives over the road.. the damn stories I have heard of dumb shit is simply amazing but no surprising. I cringe at the costs of some shit when he takes his truck or trailer into the shop for parts. :icon_eek:

trust me if my niece wasn't on the back.. plug and some air and ride that bitch back home.

my XX lost her trailer cherry but her tool strap is still going strong so there is hope. :icon_wink:

I live in middle TN and go east to the Dragon and outreaching areas twice a year on the XX. Two falls ago I went up and rode 3 hard days with some guys younger than me. Fast enough that on the way home I'm thinkin I am gettin too old for this shit. Make it home after several back road diversions and unload, back to work and ride the Bird in a couple of days. I finally get a chance to clean it up good and in the Saturday morning daylight at the edge of the garage door there is a shiny spot way up high on the side of the (Dunlop StreetSmart) tire that only see real wear in East TN. I start to yank and work around the edges and finally pull out a 1.5 inch piece of 3/8 rough round steel. Don't know what it is but when I finally pull it out the tire goes completely flat in two seconds.

I got this damn thing a week ago way over in a turn chasing some asshole! Been carrying it ever since.

Thinkin about it. I am going to the 5PM Christmas candle lighting tomorrow. Christmas Eve!

Thank ya Jesus!

Check out the Stop n Go tire plugger at my CycleFarkles.com link in my signature. I would never suggest that you ride forever on a plugged tire, but it does work, and can get you home the next time this happens.

Ask Philip about it.. he rode for over 2000 miles on one a few years ago when we were riding out West.

A small CO2 cartridge base emergency air supply, or a Slime pump (google it) can fit under your seat and be perfect for emergencies.

Thanks Hobie, I checked out the Stop and Go setup you sell a while ago. I do keep plugs in my bike and also carry a small air compressor under the seat for such cases.

If I didn't have my niece with me I would have rode my bike back home no problem. Just didn't want to risk it with someone elses 14yr old daughter on the back.

Hell my bike is still sitting with the plugged tire holding air just fine. With all the holidays and hunting season I haven't gotten around to ordering a new set of shoes for it. :icon_wall:

If I didn't have my niece with me I would have rode my bike back home no problem. Just didn't want to risk it with someone elses 14yr old daughter on the back.

For sure. I just couldn't live with myself if I hurt someone's child and it was my fault.