CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake fluid

texasplumr

I just use full-synthetic compatible with DOT3 and DOT4. Don't see the point in spending that much for brake fluid.

What's it do that's so special?

The boiling point is much higher.

I buy this stuff.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/v...-brake-fluid/28

DBP of 480 degrees. $3.99 at most auto parts stores.

What you're looking at goes up to 536 degrees.

Do you really need the 56 extra degrees? It's intended for track use or anything that puts high-stress on the brakes.

What kind of riding are you doing?

I just use full-synthetic compatible with DOT3 and DOT4. Don't see the point in spending that much for brake fluid.

What's it do that's so special?

The boiling point is much higher.

I buy this stuff.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/v...-brake-fluid/28

DBP of 480 degrees. $3.99 at most auto parts stores.

What you're looking at goes up to 536 degrees.

Do you really need the 56 extra degrees? It's intended for track use or anything that puts high-stress on the brakes.

What kind of riding are you doing?

Nothing extreme, as my sig states, I'm old and I'm slow. The wet boiling point is the important number though since once you open the bottle it is no longer dry. Brake fluid attracts moisture like a magnet attracts steel.

I was just wondering if anybody used this stuff and if they got any more life out of it. But you're right, it is kind of spendy.

I use it in the track car, and it's OK. Can still boil it if I'm driving poorly, but that's on the track.

You'll laugh at this, but I use Ford truck brake fluid in the cars and bike. It's inexpensive and good quality.

IMHO, we have a bigger problem w/corrosion on these bikes than boiling. And bleeding the #$%@ linked brake system!