CBR1100XX.org Forum

"Stuff" that an 85k '97 'Bird could use?

bartonmd

So, I'm putting together a list of stuff that I need to do while I've got it apart this winter...

I already know I'm doing:

Valve adjustment #2

Chain/sprocket

Dash light bulbs

Plugs

Rear brakes

Tires

Should I also do?:

Thermostat

Rad cap

Coolant hoses

Water pump

Anything else?

Thanks,

Mike

Fresh brake and clutch fluid, change the fork oil- assuming you haven't done either recently. And don't skimp on the fork oil change, pull the damper rods, clean them up real good, check the slider bushings and replace the seals.

I do need to change the fork fluid... Forgot to put that on there... The bushings and everything are all Honda, and were replaced at around 50k when I did the Gold Valves, and the ones I replaced were fine... I am going to take the damper rods out and check them all over, though...

I should have put brake/clutch fluid, as well... Those are an "every spring" thing for me, anyway...

Anything else?

Thanks,

Mike

Check your tool pouch strap for proper tension.

Headlight fluid (if running HIDs that is).

Air pressure in rear shock.

Check voltage at the rear accessory outlet.

Fresh brake and clutch fluid, change the fork oil- assuming you haven't done either recently. And don't skimp on the fork oil change, pull the damper rods, clean them up real good, check replace the slider bushings, and replace the seals.

+1 and FTFY...85K worth makes them really cheap and it's already apart. :icon_biggrin:

Fresh brake and clutch fluid, change the fork oil- assuming you haven't done either recently. And don't skimp on the fork oil change, pull the damper rods, clean them up real good, check replace the slider bushings, and replace the seals.

+1 and FTFY...85K worth makes them really cheap and it's already apart. :icon_biggrin:

As stated above, I did them 30k ago, and replaced the -still OK- stock ones with more stock ones... Seals are still fine (the OEM ones were fine 30k ago, too, and replaced with OEM)... If the seals are fine, I'm going to leave the tubes in the barrels, but just pull the dampers out and check them over and clean them...

Also, I just did a CCT from John like 2-3 months ago...

Mike

wow 85K miles. Wondered how a Bird runs with that many miles? Is the bike still fast as hell?

It's at least as fast as it was when it had 5k on it... Seems to power wheelie better, actually... That could have something to do with the counter-weight up top weighing 35# more than it did when it got the bike, though...

Mike