CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stainless brake line questions.

redxxrdr

I just purchased a little SV650.

Braking is fair compared to the XX.

I plan to go through the calipers and master if necessary, but figure that new lines on a ten year old bike would be money well spent.

A search has found a number of line companies.

Galfer, HEL, Goodridge,and Spiegler all have products for the SV.

The cheapest path is a two line replacement for the origional three line system. Not a issue for me. There is a good route for two lines under the fairings.

Some searches mentioned that the Banjo attachment bolts on Suzuki can be a unique thread size, so a proper kit is important.

The Spiegler kits have Banjo bolts that can rotate. This looks to be a good deal when trying to align the hoses.

HEL makes a big deal about dis-simular metal corrosion on other brands. Banjos being aluminum, hoses stainless.

I guess the connection from Stainless banjo to aluminum cylinders and calipers doesn't count. :icon_biggrin:

So my long winded question.

Which products have you used? Any issues with a certain brand?

Proper hardware and support is important.

All of the brands have product around $100.00 so I see little cost advantage.

Your advice is appreciated.

Craig

Have standard config Galfer's from Cycle Brakes on F bike and the CBX. Have the 10 line kit HEL's from HEL/UK on the Bird. Have HEL single front caliper line on the Wing. Both brands are great products. Both have the ability to carefully rotate the banjo bolts into correct alignment as needed. Both are stainless braid and stainless fittings. Fittings are insulated from banjo to reservoir and banjo to caliper by the copper sealing washers. I don't think you could go wrong with purchasing either brand. Customer service is outstanding with both companies. I particularly avoided using HEL/USA....they were in the middle of a "family" squabble about who was going to assume the USA rep rights at the time. That may all be sorted out by now though....been a few years ago.

I've used the Spiegler lines on a couple bikes specifically to be able to "clock" the banjo fittings.

I wasn't aware this could be done with the others. Are ya sure?

I got one set from Holeshot for a Suzuki that couldn't be rotated and the banjo fittings were off a bit. I had to twist the lines to get them bolted up and didn't like that at all. Not sure what brand they were but Holeshot was a reseller, not a manufacturer.

I'm sure mine were able to rotate. Can't guarantee yours will. I actually made voice contact with the companies prior to doing it to make sure I wasn't gonna fubar anything. Both told me to insert a large screwdriver or rod into the banjo and grip the collar with padded pliers while rotating carefully. Mine were damn close out of the box anyway. I didn't have to adjust them very much at all for perfect angles and fit.

Thanks guys,

It looks like they all make good product. I will check out some of the vendor feedback on their sites and get a set coming.

Now if I could just get my estranged POS wife to not notice a missing front end off of her crashed GSXR, and I could do a major upgrade.

BTW, I actually decided to get adventurous and have all the lines on my VFR800 custom made in red. The VFR has the same complex setup as the XX. I actually had the lines that run between front and back made in one single peice instead of using that solid line at the frame. Took a while to get the kinks worked out and I eventually went back to stock on 2 of the very short secondary lines but overall it worked quite well. If I recall, the while lot cost me $200 shipped.

CIMG3833_t.jpgCIMG3841_t.jpgCIMG3848_t.jpgCIMG3852_t.jpg