CBR1100XX.org Forum

Christmas in January, thanks UPS

RodeRash

My new Penske 8100 shock arrived in the mail yesterday!!

I can't wait to get it mounted up, but I'm going to hold off until I get my forks back from Lindemann. I'd rather not work on the back of the bike without the front wheel firmly on the ground.

The shock is configured with an 1100 lb/in spring (19.7 kg/mm) which is quite a bit stiffer than the stock setup, so I am anxious to see how that works out.

Does the 8100 series come with the remote reservoir ?

I'm easy confused :roll: .....

I found here http://www.traxxion.com/store/detail.asp?p...roduct_id=SPORT the description, that puzzles me.

Is 8900 and 8100 the same just with the reservoir ??? The 8900 series doesn't have it , right ?!

I was thinking of the 8981 series (previous treads....) but the 8100 is less money...

What would I loose with the 8100 series, comparing to the 8981 ?

TIA.

Cheers,

The shock is the same one that is listed at Traxxion.com as the 8981. It has the remote reservoir, low speed compression and rebound adjustments. It also has a built in ride height adjuster.

Traxxion's sport shock has the same basic shock body, but does not have the remote reservoir or the rebound adjustment. The sport shock has the oil and gas together in the shock body. Adding the remote reservoir removes the nitrogen from the shock and keeps it in the reservoir. When I talked to Max at Traxxion, he said he normally recomends his sport shock for street applications, but since I do a lot of long distance rides, he thought that the extra oil capacity offered by the remote reservoir shock would keep the damping more consistant

Are you saying that your 8100 is the same as the 8981 and you paid $575 for it ?!

The shock is the same one that is listed at Traxxion.com as the 8981. It has the remote reservoir, low speed compression and rebound adjustments. It also has a built in ride height adjuster

I told you I'm easilly confused :wink:

Cheers,

I think this is how Penske numbers their shocks.

8900 is the shock body series.

The 81 suffix (or 8100) is the designation of the remote res, with 2 way adjustability.

The 87 suffix (or 8700) is the designation of the 3 way adjustable shock.

(High and low speed compression, and rebound)

No, I did not pay $575. I paid $665.59 (including shipping) from Lindemann Engineering.

I have an 1100# spring on my 8981 and it works great. I set the sag at about 30mm. I also increased the overall shock length about 1/4" with the ride height adjustment.

I vary the compression damping with the load and riding style of the day. I set it soft for highway use and stiffen it for twisty roads or for use with a passenger. I think I have the rebound set at 15 clicks down from full damping.

I'm sure I'm not the fastest rider in the group, but the only thing I can scrape in the corners is the side of my boot since I changed the ride height. :grin:

I think this is how Penske numbers their shocks.  

8900 is the shock body series.  

The 81 suffix (or 8100) is the designation of the remote res, with 2 way adjustability.  

The 87 suffix (or 8700) is the designation of the 3 way adjustable shock.  

(High and low speed compression, and rebound)  

No, I did not pay $575. I paid $665.59 (including shipping) from Lindemann Engineering.

THANK YOU ! This is so simple now and makes sense !!!

Now I understand.... :cool:

Cheers,