CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch lever vibration

kwikXX

I have an '02 bird that I have started noticing vibration in the clutch lever when I apply pressure on it while in neutral, but it goes away after the clutch has been disengaged . I may have been there for years and I just started paying it attention, but not sure.

Once I pull the lever all the way in it goes away. It is only when I am starting to pull the clutch in while in neutral. I don't notice it while in gear , even while under load going down the road.

So, for those that have knowledge in the area of bird trannys....is there a problem on the horizon? Or is this normal for a 30,000 mile bike?

Please advise. Thanks so much.

What you're describing is likely normal, but I can't say for sure since I haven't really paid attention to the lever feel during that short period of time when you start to pull the lever. The two things I would check to make sure would be the end of the clutch push rod opposite the hydraulic slave cylinder and the ball bearing inside the clutch pressure plate.

Pull the front sprocket cover and pull out the push rod to inspect it. If there is galling on that end, you will need to replace it and the little piece that rides on the end. If the push rod looks good, clean it and re-install. Then pull the clutch cover, remove the clutch springs and inspect the bearing in the pressure plate. I usually put it on my pinky finger and give it a spin. Should spin freely and smoothly.

What you're describing is likely normal, but I can't say for sure since I haven't really paid attention to the lever feel during that short period of time when you start to pull the lever. The two things I would check to make sure would be the end of the clutch push rod opposite the hydraulic slave cylinder and the ball bearing inside the clutch pressure plate.

Pull the front sprocket cover and pull out the push rod to inspect it. If there is galling on that end, you will need to replace it and the little piece that rides on the end. If the push rod looks good, clean it and re-install. Then pull the clutch cover, remove the clutch springs and inspect the bearing in the pressure plate. I usually put it on my pinky finger and give it a spin. Should spin freely and smoothly.

Thanks Jon for the response and ideas to look at. I need to understand the transmission better, or at least what is going on during the clutch release. When the clutch is released, and the rod is riding against the throw out bearing (if there is one), does that set of discs and bearing stop rotating until clutch "take up" happens again? If that IS the case, then I feel that you are right on target with the throw out bearing and rod.

I was thinking to much like a car/truck where the throw out continues to spin during disengagement since it rides on the pressure plate that is attached to the fly wheel and never stops spinning, only the clutch disc stops during disengagment.

So, does the throw out bearing and related parts stop turning while the clutch is disengaged?

Yes, "Throw-out bearing", I couldn't think of the proper term earlier.

With the clutch dis-engaged, the pressure plate, steels, and inner hub only turn if the rear wheel is turning and not in neutral. If the trow-out bearing were bad, the vibration should get worse if you pull in the clutch lever while the bike is moving. So that is likely not the problem. With the engine running in neutral, the whole clutch is spinning until you pull the lever, then the three items above will stop. I think if you have a problem at all, it will be the end of the push rod. I have heard of failures there before, but not the throw-out bearing.

If the rod is bad, I have used extras of the two parts you will need. I would be happy to send them to you for shipping cost.

I wonder if you could just swap ends on the push rod? Anyone else here ever try that?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had time to swap the throw-out bearing and pusher last night after work. All is well with my Bird once again. Bad bearing. I was able to get a good nights sleep once again. lol.