CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fuel gauge

The Krypt Keeper

'02 about 32k miles on the clock.

All the talk about ethanol eating the crap out of our bikes fuel system always keeps my mind wandering of when I will have my first issue from this.

Last weekend I stopped for gas and noticed after filling up that my gauge didn't go to full. It stayed showing that I was at half a tank. I shook the bike back and forth and the rest of the bars lit up to a full tank.

Yesterday morning I met up with a friend for a ride and we stopped to top off to start our ride and the same thing happened. I shook back and forth, got a couple bars and then a few seconds I had all the bars.

the only thing ever added to my gas was seafoam or lucas gas treatments every 4 or 5 fillups. Looking to add some of that Sta-bil ethanol treatment to everything. Just hope my bikes internals haven't been comprimised.

Any thoughts..

• 2 weeks later...

IDK, my sender took a crapload of neglect and it still works.

Does the shop manual specify a range of resistance for a good gauge?

IDK, my sender took a crapload of neglect and it still works.

Does the shop manual specify a range of resistance for a good gauge?

will have to locate my manual (on CD) and see. It only happened when I filled up. The rest of the times I stopped and started the bike back up it has read normal

In my case, the sender is borderline worthless anyway. It looks like it sends a linear signal from top to bottom, and the tank has waaay more volume @ the top than the bottom. So I just fill up every 135-155 miles.

In my case, the sender is borderline worthless anyway. It looks like it sends a linear signal from top to bottom, and the tank has waaay more volume @ the top than the bottom. So I just fill up every 135-155 miles.

EXACTLY!! I get about 100miles on the first 1/3 tank and about 50 miles on the last 2/3rds. I just use my trip odo. ANALOG odo that is, doesnt the digi trip meter have more than 1 tracker?