CBR1100XX.org Forum

Electrical lessons learned

cbrbear

Ok so... just wanted to up date for those that may take the time to change their switches here is what I found out.....

Right side switch-from RC51 (since I am using an action throttle) cleans up the controls. Make the RC51 plug color match exactly to the CBR1100XX and badda bing it works. It doesnt come matching you have to move a couple wires around.

Left side Euro Flash to Pass switch-Once I pulled it apart wire by wire it was pretty simple. You can take the turn signal part out of the stock switch and use it in the Euro switch so your turn signals stay as running lights, otherwise only 1 plug is provided on the euro switch. Only rewiring required is take to take the white wire with the green stripe that goes from the horn to the flash to pass switch and take the blue wire and blue wire with white stripe ( high beam and low beam) and connect a each side of the flash to pass with that wire. It really was quite simple I just nuked it!!!

Aw crap, I was going to respond back when you first posted and then forgot all about it. Yes, the wiring for the flash-to-pass is dead simple. In my case, the physical install was the problem. The Euro switch I bought turned out to be total crap. It was smashed beyond being usable (good working order, my ass), and since I'd had a guy in the UK buy it on ebay there and forward it to me there wasn't much I could do. I had to take the trigger out of the Euro switch and install it in mine, which would have been a matter of minutes except that the olde-style mechanical switch mechanism was twisted out of shape.

It took a couple hours to get it to where it would fit in the housing and move without binding . . . and then the trigger's pivot broke off. For those who haven't done this mod, the trigger attaches to the innards of the switch via a pin that goes through a hole in a metal tab that sticks out of the back of the plastic trigger. And being a mechanical switch, this tab also completes the circuit and carries current when the trigger is pulled. That was the point where I should have tossed it in the trash, but having already invested (wasted) so much time on it I spent another evening fabricating another tiny metal tab and attaching it to the back of the trigger.

Ok so... just wanted to up date for those that may take the time to change their switches here is what I found out.....

Right side switch-from RC51 (since I am using an action throttle) cleans up the controls. Make the RC51 plug color match exactly to the CBR1100XX and badda bing it works. It doesnt come matching you have to move a couple wires around.

Left side Euro Flash to Pass switch-Once I pulled it apart wire by wire it was pretty simple. You can take the turn signal part out of the stock switch and use it in the Euro switch so your turn signals stay as running lights, otherwise only 1 plug is provided on the euro switch. Only rewiring required is take to take the white wire with the green stripe that goes from the horn to the flash to pass switch and take the blue wire and blue wire with white stripe ( high beam and low beam) and connect a each side of the flash to pass with that wire. It really was quite simple I just nuked it!!!

Knew you could do it - good job! How about some pictures?