CBR1100XX.org Forum

Heat & Tires

ActionStarCBRxx

I thought I had replaced my tires last year on my daily driven 97 bird. I got a nail through the rear and while pulling the tires, I saw that the front was down to the little tread marker.

So I am getting two new Pilot Powers put on. I cant recall if I bought the Pilot Powers or the Pilot CT's last round. Regardless I drive about 150 miles a week. That would be me about 7200 for the year (assuming 48 weeks) And this is my daily driver... so I rode in the snow in the winter, the rain, and the heat.

So the question is... does high heat (100+) play a factor in wearing down the tires while driving? Or should I be happy with the 7000 miles I got out of them?

The other odd thing I noticed that I was closer to the edge on the rears than I was on the fronts. Is that normal or just a sign of spazzy riding?

1. Heat hastens the degradation of rubber.

2. 7k miles is good.

3. Front and rear tires have a different profile (curve) to them as you go from center to the edge.

That is why the rear ckicken strips disappear before the fronts..don't ask how I know of this. :icon_evilgrin: