CBR1100XX.org Forum

Melted Stator Wiring

jjmcjames

I have a '98 XX with the Yamaha R/R conversion, done about 13 months ago. When I did the conversion I also replaced the stator and battery. Bike has run perfect until yesterday. I also installed a Datel digital volt meter to keep me from getting stranded. Tuesday the bike got drenched sitting in the parking lot at work. Rode it home-no issues. Bike sat for one day plugged up to a tender. Rode in Wednesday night-no issues. When I got home I found that one of the stator leads was melted-one of the other leads was somewhat melted and the third looked fine. When I pulled the R/R I found a small amount of moisture in the plug receptacle. Stator checks good-volts and ohms, even with the damaged wiring. R/R checks bad when checking voltage across the battery and reving the engine according to the troubleshooting guide that is out. When I did the conversion I used heavy butt splices to hook up the factory leads to the new pigtail that I got with the R/R (from barton on this forum, I think). Can anyone guess what melted the wiring? Could the water have caused my R/R to get fried? I am guessing I need another R/R. Any advice you have will be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig

I had run into the same problem, about a year and a half ago I replaced my stator with a Ricks model, bought the R1 RR and the pigtail kit from Mike.

I soldered all the wiring together nice and tight, used shrink tubing and electrical tape to secure the work and keep it nice and dry.

About 6 months later my bike died on me, come to find out the wiring fried and shorted out the main fuse.

The stator was still putting out good numbers but the R1 RR wasn't doing it's part, so I bought a new one, repaired all the fried wiring, sealed it up and was good for close to a year, noticed this time the wiring was getting crispy before it stranded me, same thing though and not due to any water intrusion.

Fed up I went and bought the OEM RR, and stator, this was about 4 months ago, no troubles to report, I can tell you I'm never going with aftermarket parts on either of these on this bike as long as I own it.

I know my issues were not related to any water being in the wrong spots, I do think the aftermarket stator was really my issue, but your issue may be different than mine, or not.

I had run into the same problem, about a year and a half ago I replaced my stator with a Ricks model, bought the R1 RR and the pigtail kit from Mike.

I soldered all the wiring together nice and tight, used shrink tubing and electrical tape to secure the work and keep it nice and dry.

About 6 months later my bike died on me, come to find out the wiring fried and shorted out the main fuse.

The stator was still putting out good numbers but the R1 RR wasn't doing it's part, so I bought a new one, repaired all the fried wiring, sealed it up and was good for close to a year, noticed this time the wiring was getting crispy before it stranded me, same thing though and not due to any water intrusion.

Fed up I went and bought the OEM RR, and stator, this was about 4 months ago, no troubles to report, I can tell you I'm never going with aftermarket parts on either of these on this bike as long as I own it.

I know my issues were not related to any water being in the wrong spots, I do think the aftermarket stator was really my issue, but your issue may be different than mine, or not.

Thanks for the info-I have alrady ordered a replacement Yamaha R/R and new plug/wiring. I will check the fuses when the stuff arrives-getting tired of these electrical gremlins.

Thanks for the info-I have alrady ordered a replacement Yamaha R/R and new plug/wiring. I will check the fuses when the stuff arrives-getting tired of these electrical gremlins.

No problem, I had enough after the second time the wiring fried, if you go with OEM parts check out Chaparral Motorsports for parts, I think I paid about $370 for both the stator and RR.

Hope it works out for you.

• 4 weeks later...

The new Honda Regulator/Rectifier is better than old ones because they now have cooling fins like the R1 Regulator/Rectifier. Just my .02 cents.