CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird totally dead again-no lights, nothing

BarryG

So I got a new R/R about 2 months ago after my bike needed a charge to start...forgot who makes it but my shop swore by it. Bike started up instantly after the new r/r...no issues. Although I've barely been riding the XX in the last 3 months...maybe 4 months...maybe 500 miles total. Been riding the v-strom mostly.

A week ago tried to start the bike and it didn't turn over. Then dead...nothing. No instrument panel lights..nothing. Been that way ever since.

Always have the bike on a trickle charger and it still shows green. Battery was with bike when I got it 3 yrs ago...I'm sure it was NOT on a charger then.

So can't run the tests that involve revving the bike obviously since I can't start the bike.....unless I get my neighbor to jump it.

Should I start with a new battery minimum and then see if it's the stator (never been replaced)??

'98 XX approx 28K miles.

Thanks.

Barry,

Don't throw parts at it. If you don't have a digital volt meter, buy one.

I would then measure the battery voltage. Around 13 volts across plus to minus with nothing on.

If good, then check the battery connections. I seem to remember a single main fuse between the battery and everything else. I don't have the prints in front of me.

After you find the no start problem, follow the charging troubleshooting link in the usefull threads to verify that the stator and R/R are working properly.

Battery just read about 12.93-.97 DCV...not pulled from the bike.....nothing on. Considering I just got a new RR.....guessing it's the stator. Haven't pulled the plastic to look at the RR frying or anything yet.

But to do any more of the testing on the flow chart, looks like I'll have to jump start it to get it running.

Have you tried checking the main fuse?

Will have to do search on here...don't know how to check.

Follow the RED wire from the battery... it runs to a rubber mounted block on the left side of the battery box, with a red cap over a fuse. That's the main fuse.

There's a starter solenoid next to it.

Have you tried checking the main fuse?

Will have to do search on here...don't know how to check.

Follow the RED wire from the battery... it runs to a rubber mounted block on the left side of the battery box, with a red cap over a fuse. That's the main fuse.

There's a starter solenoid next to it.

Thanks..saw that and solenoid seemed tighly connected but I'll double check.

Battery just read about 12.93-.97 DCV...not pulled from the bike.....nothing on. Considering I just got a new RR.....guessing it's the stator. Haven't pulled the plastic to look at the RR frying or anything yet.

But to do any more of the testing on the flow chart, looks like I'll have to jump start it to get it running.

Barry,,,put the voltmeter across the terminals when the engine is running. You should read 13-14V. It should increase by about 1 volt if you rev the bike.

Barry,,,put the voltmeter across the terminals when the engine is running. You should read 13-14V. It should increase by about 1 volt if you rev the bike.

Ok thanks...will do assuming I'm able to jump start the bike later on tonight.