CBR1100XX.org Forum

Considering a used shock..

TeXTrain99

My wonderful motorcycle just clicked over 30K miles. Not much for 99, I know but......still a milestone that says..time to address the suspension and brakes.

Goofing around on ebay I came across this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Penske-8983...=item4aaa6fba70 I know there was a group buy in the past for Penske 8987 and 8983 shocks. I figure this might be worthwhile to go after assuming that A) I get it at a fair price that allows me to get it rebuilt and resprung without breaking the bank or being more than 60% of a new comparable shock and B) it will bolt on to the bird.

I'll work on getting a rebuild and respring price but can I get some help on the "will it bolt on to a 99 bird" question?

You'd have to send it back to Penske to have the proper mounts installed, they'd make it the right length and re-valve it for the heavier bike/spring. I'd check with them on price, but it won't be "cheap". That thing also isn't going to stay anywhere near the $100 it's sitting at now. The SV650 is huge with the racer/trackday crowd, there's probably a lot of people watching that auction.

I'd keep looking.

Damn Redbird, last time I took a chance on dreaming about a rear shock you pissed all over my parade. That time it was gettng the stock shock rebuilt. Now I can't pick a right after market shock.... I'd be annoyed if I didn't think this is the kind of advice I come here for. :icon_biggrin:

I assume (watch out!) there are other models of bikes that have a direct bolt on shock that can replace the stock CBR1100XX shock. CBR900 is one right? Are there others? If I don't hurry up and get moving I'll miss my happy collision of money, opportunity and get-it-done-before-OzarXX timeframe so any nifty shortcuts to list of bikes that would be good candidate for a shock donor? Right mounts, length, decent adjustability? Since I'm looking for aftermarket used shocks, I'm figuring there will be a rebuild/respring required as well.

At the same time I'm going to get the forks done with new springs, new oil. Stainless brake lines, too. And it all needs to happy fast before I lose my nerve and do something stupid like put the money in the savings account. :icon_neutral:

I'm all about pissing on hopes and dreams :icon_wink:

The 900RR shock is the only one that I'm aware of that bolts right up, and it's slightly shorter, IIRC. It's not even all models of the 900RR. I believe the info on exact model number/years is floating around here somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...

I just fit a 95 900rr shock on my 98. Straight bolt on with the transfer of the upper stud mount. I need to ride it yet to see how the change affects the bike. I need a spanner wrench to turn the preload collar. I also put a Hyperpro front fork kit in it too, new springs and oil with Jaws preload adjusters. Hoping for a better ride. cheers.

That thing will sell for about 450 bucks . I`m part time prophet in case you wonder .

O.K. it went for 501 , close enough . :icon_whistle:

Wouldn't a CBR900 shock be damped and sprung for a bike that weighs aprox 150 lbs less than an xx?

Yes, I got mine resprung for my weight but didn't get the damping done and it worked OK :icon_surprised: