CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dificulty getting motor to run smooth

destavesta

My name is Paul Brady and I live in Australia, I have just updated from a 1999 cbr1000f to 2003 CBR1100XX black black in colour. I can’t believe the difference particularly with the amount of Policemen I now meet. I am really happy with it except for one thing. This model is fuel injected and when I try and maintain a speed like 60 kph 110 ect ect it seems to have a miss or wont maintain a speed. I am not sure if this is due to the responsiveness and lightness of the throttle or a problem with the engine management. Do you know of any other similar complaints, I am about to take it back to the Honda Dealer and have it looked at under warranty it has only done 500 kms.

Any help would be appreciated, oh and by the way what a fantastic web page and resource for people like me. Thanks

Regards Paul Brady Australia

Paul, Welcome to the Board. I have not heard of that problem before, on this site. Basically, the XX is a ride it and forget it bike, not to much in the way of problems. Personally, I would ride it for a few thousand K's and see if it still is problematic, and if so, take it back to the dealer and let them find it.

It varies if i am up on the revs like over 5k it doesnt seem to be a problem I guess 4th gear around town in 60 kph, small bumps seem to be the worst and I dont know if this due to something wrong or my technique with the throttle at this stage. It is just like a miss but the bumps seem to cause the problems.

destavesta,

I've a '01 FI, and have never experienced that, although your gear:speed combination brings up a small flag, especially since we're talking KPH...

I find I'm a lot more comfortable keeping it above 3,000 rpm, and for 4th gear at 60KPH (37.5 MPH), you may be staying in the engine's low-rpm range, causing the engine to be more susceptible to bumps at the low rpm speed. The engine is much happier between 3,000 and 8,500 rpm (once out of the initialization period).

At least, in Tokyo traffic, I'll usually stay in second until I'm (well) above 70, just to have access to power without going through the low rpm wind up, and be able to use the engine more flexibly (and avoid taxis :roll: ). If it's a long road, I may use third at that speed, but seems awfully slow for 4th... IMHO.

Paul,

This is my second Blackbird and that happened to me on both bikes. I think the problem is what you suspected, the responsiveness of the throttle. Just be more mindful of your throttle control when approaching bumps or tighten the slack on the throttle cables.

Joe