CBR1100XX.org Forum

DDM HID motorcycle kits are back up....

Jaygermeister

The price and negative reviews on Yelp force me to ask, are these any good? First suspicion is that they must be Made by Chinese Children of Political Prisoners crapola that would be more problems than I'd save in the price. I could possibly overcome that suspicion with some member testimonials.

The price and negative reviews on Yelp force me to ask, are these any good? First suspicion is that they must be Made by Chinese Children of Political Prisoners crapola that would be more problems than I'd save in the price. I could possibly overcome that suspicion with some member testimonials.

They are on my wife's expedition and my bird. Going into year 3 on the car, 1 bad ballast, replaced under warranty w/no hassles.

They are semi-local to me. I stopped in once, and they seemed decent.

While I try to not buy Chinese, sometimes low price can win me over...

Is 55w dual the correct unit? What is bulb type? 6000k?

:icon_scratchhead:

IDK, depends on what you want out of the unit. Suggest you give them a call and kick it around.

I think the bulbs are H7. There are two seperate bulbs, one filament in each (hi/lo beams are seperate).

Will post more if I find my original order docs.

HID's are brighter my bike calls for a 55 so I went with a 35 and it's bright. I can't remember what K I went with I think a 5k. I've had them for a year and should of done this the 1st day.

Thanks guys...i'm gonna get some of these installed.

I have a DDM kit on my BMW GS and to date they have worked perfect. OTOH I purchased a VVME kit for another bike and had a faulty ballast right out of the box and they are making me jump through some ridiculous hoops to get replaced. I will not be ordering another VVME kit. I am going to add HID's to the XX sometime soon and I will go DDM if it is available.

Any idea how to get these to work in a Samurai?

Well... I put them in my 1979 Ford truck..... so ya.... it's doable. :icon_biggrin:

but.... I'll stress it took me some work to find the correct housings. So here's what I would suggest for you...

Buy the DDM 35W kit in 4500K, with the H4 Hi/Lo bulbs, and the Hi/lo wirering harness...

Then buy these.. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-and-Li...0&t_pl=8694

They are the 7" round housings (I'm guessing you have a 1990's Samurai) in the European lighting pattern, that's important, very important. Because only with the ECE lights will you be able to aim them down correctly and keep from blinding everybody going in the other direction.

Thanks Eric! I have a 1988 Suzuki Samurai with a very healthy lift. Being able to aim them would be important. I will check out the links.

I just installed power steering in it. :icon_biggrin:

Guys, don't put these in your cars and trucks. They glare the hell out of everyone else on the road. I'm so sick of stupid ricers in civics blinding me at night and during the day. It is 10x worse when the guy is driving a truck.

Bikes aren't everywhere and some glare can help people see you, so i get it,,,but in cars? It just makes you look like a noob that will not shell out the cash for the right projector HID kit.

That's why I went with the 35w bulb. Non HID head light housings are not set up for HID bulbs so a lot of light it just thrown out in every direction and not focused on the road, which pisses off everyone. Eric was working on a way to fix this problem

Toxxic, PLEASE Do Not buy any other Brand or Design than the Hella ECE lenses.... as I can not attest to there build and design quality.

The ECE cut lens is the first step at getting rid of the Glare that Tuffguy is talking about, the second part is making sure that the Housing has a anti glare shield built into it.

As Jay mentioned, I spent some time working on the anti glare issue with the Blackbird Housing... which forced me to learn a lot about the Lights and the focusing of them. So when I moved on to installing them in my truck.... I again did not want to Blind anyone, so I bought a few housing and tested them, started out thinking I could do it cheap..... well that was a mistake, so I have a few sets of throw away housings around, because they are just that, JUNK! I wouldn't even sell them to my enemies..... because my luck they would install them and blind my friends. (figuratively speaking)

Tuffguy... I understand your worry, and concern, but "IF" they are installed properly then you will NOT get excessive glare and blinding of other drivers.( which is what most inconsiderate assholes tend NOT to due, they don't take the time to learn how to do the job right )

Somewhere in the history files of dead threads around here, is a write up I did on my HID lights for the Blackbird, and in that you can see the shield I had to make for the Blackbird Housing to eliminate the Glare. If your interested.

Jay, I would be willing to try and solve that problem for your Busa.... I did some reading on those projector beam housing, and a variation of what I did for the Birds housing may be possible. If you're interested shoot me an e-mail or PM.

Eric,

Thanks for the PM, and update in this thread! I have the DDM kit in my bike, and love it. However, what has been said about the glare makes sense. My Samurai is a 90% trail 10% road rig, but I still want to be a responsible motorist when on the road. Thanks guys!

Sounds good... just wanted to make you guys aware of it. :)

This is why all of my future kits will involve projectors. They are not plug and play but they do make sure you get the light on the road, instead of all around you and in peoples eyes.

Toxxic,

Maybe I wasn't clear...

The Housing I posted above (the Hella ECE's) will not have any Glare problems with the HID bulbs in them.

Stan,

If you're talking about buying a set for The XXZX, then

Get the 55W kit for the Low and High beam, just make sure you use that Shield I made you for the Low beam bulb.

The single 55W in my bike allllllmost puts out as much light on the road as the dual 35W bulbs in my truck.... I love it.

• 3 weeks later...