CBR1100XX.org Forum

Which jet kit would you recommend???

leeinmemphis

Hey everyone,

I have a '98 BB that I recently purchased. The bike was a pretty significant hesitation mostly between 4-6k rpm's with more than half throttle acceleration. The bike has a 4-1 TiForce exhaust, I believe it is a factory air cleaner, and the set up on the carb's is unknown. I can tell while sitting at idle that the bike is running rich. I have done some research over the past couple of days and have found that this hesitation is a pretty common problem that the carb'd BB's have. I have been looking at different options for jet kits and have come across two different brands: DynoJet and FactoryPro. Factory Pro also has a 4* ignition advance(not sure what it is really needed for though). Are there any other brands that I should check in to? I am not concerned about numbers or more hp but would like to get rid of the hesitation if at all possible. I have ridden a tank of gas through it with seafoam hoping that it would help clear up any old fuel issues but it didn't seem to help much. I will try to run another tank through it this week(with seafoam)

Also the million dollar question is how hard is the jet kit to install? I have purchased a shop manual on ebay for the bike and hope to have it by the end of the week. I have messed with single carb's on dirt bikes but I have never removed or dealt with a multiple bank carb set up. Is this something that someone with basic mechanical experience can tackle or would I be better to take it to an independent shop for the install?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey everyone,

I have a '98 BB that I recently purchased. The bike was a pretty significant hesitation mostly between 4-6k rpm's with more than half throttle acceleration. The bike has a 4-1 TiForce exhaust, I believe it is a factory air cleaner, and the set up on the carb's is unknown. I can tell while sitting at idle that the bike is running rich. I have done some research over the past couple of days and have found that this hesitation is a pretty common problem that the carb'd BB's have. I have been looking at different options for jet kits and have come across two different brands: DynoJet and FactoryPro. Factory Pro also has a 4* ignition advance(not sure what it is really needed for though). Are there any other brands that I should check in to? I am not concerned about numbers or more hp but would like to get rid of the hesitation if at all possible. I have ridden a tank of gas through it with seafoam hoping that it would help clear up any old fuel issues but it didn't seem to help much. I will try to run another tank through it this week(with seafoam)

Also the million dollar question is how hard is the jet kit to install? I have purchased a shop manual on ebay for the bike and hope to have it by the end of the week. I have messed with single carb's on dirt bikes but I have never removed or dealt with a multiple bank carb set up. Is this something that someone with basic mechanical experience can tackle or would I be better to take it to an independent shop for the install?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I did it and you can too. Really not a big deal once you do it the first time....dialing it in should be easy...just takes a little time is all.

I have ordered the factory pro jet kit and the ignition advance. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions once I start diving into this. I purchased a shop manual on ebay so hopefully it will get here before the weekend. If it does I'll go ahead and start removing the bodywork/gas tank in preparation of installing the jet kit. Gotta admit I'm a little nervous about it.

I am currently in the process of installing the factory pro kit, the 4 deg advance, and a micron 4 into 1. Since its my first time with this particular kit, I'm no expert, but I'll be more than happy to help as I can. I hope to have the kit installed this weekend. Of course I won't get to ride for a month (stupid snow) :(

My bike is completely torn down to the point of jet installation at the current moment. Getting it to that point is pretty easy.

Oh and it took me a second to realize it but I first saw your bike over on advrider. It's sweet!

I am currently in the process of installing the factory pro kit, the 4 deg advance, and a micron 4 into 1. Since its my first time with this particular kit, I'm no expert, but I'll be more than happy to help as I can. I hope to have the kit installed this weekend. Of course I won't get to ride for a month (stupid snow) :(

My bike is completely torn down to the point of jet installation at the current moment. Getting it to that point is pretty easy.

Oh and it took me a second to realize it but I first saw your bike over on advrider. It's sweet!

Hank I will probably be asking lots of questions. :icon_redface: .......I'm guessing that both the side fairings and tank(obviously) will need to come off. I'm hoping to get to ride it a little more this week/weekend but if the jet kit comes in this week then I'll likely start into it this weekend.

Hank I will probably be asking lots of questions. :icon_redface: .......I'm guessing that both the side fairings and tank(obviously) will need to come off. I'm hoping to get to ride it a little more this week/weekend but if the jet kit comes in this week then I'll likely start into it this weekend.

Not sure about the ignition advance but if memory serves you will need a new gasket. PM me if you get stuck; once you do it the first time the fine tunning is much quicker. You will love being that close to the motor. If you call them directly they will give you a reccomended start point for both jets and needle settings once you tell them your bike's config. Do you have a manual? Not that I used mine...do not seperate the carbs.....it will not help.

Not sure about the ignition advance but if memory serves you will need a new gasket. PM me if you get stuck; once you do it the first time the fine tunning is much quicker. You will love being that close to the motor. If you call them directly they will give you a reccomended start point for both jets and needle settings once you tell them your bike's config. Do you have a manual? Not that I used mine...do not seperate the carbs.....it will not help.

I emailed Factory Pro a couple weeks ago with my bike's config and was told:

Install the kit with the mains and needle height as for "competition exhaust" on the blue sheet -

That will be pretty close if not perfect.

Thanks

Now this was before I planned to install the advance, but I wouldn't think that would make any difference in regard to jetting.

He said it was the same for any aftermarket 4 into 1, so you should be good there w/ your Ti-Force.

I emailed Factory Pro a couple weeks ago with my bike's config and was told:

Install the kit with the mains and needle height as for "competition exhaust" on the blue sheet -

That will be pretty close if not perfect.

Thanks

Now this was before I planned to install the advance, but I wouldn't think that would make any difference in regard to jetting.

He said it was the same for any aftermarket 4 into 1, so you should be good there w/ your Ti-Force.

I asked if I needed any gaskets and he said that they usually include them in the advance kit. The man checked while I was on the phone and he said that I would get the right gasket needed for the XX.

I just got to thinking and was wondering if there is anything else that I should do while that far into it? I have read of cam chain tensioner upgrades and PAIR system block offs(dont know if that applies to the carb'd models though). I am already planning on doing the 6mm rear shock shim mod while in there. The chain looks to still have some life left in it so I will likely leave it on for a while longer. Just curious if there is anything that I may need to look at while in there?

I checked my valves even though it was premature. They were all in spec. Like you said you're in there that far....

I made up some blocking plates for the PAIR system and installed them also.

I'm also going to sync the carbs.

I checked my valves even though it was premature. They were all in spec. Like you said you're in there that far....

I made up some blocking plates for the PAIR system and installed them also.

I'm also going to sync the carbs.

Well I just wanted to update you guys on the bike. I put a can of seafoam in the tank on the first tank of gas and ran it through the bike last weekend. Today it was 70* so I slipped out of work a few hours early and put a couple hundred miles on the bike. I guess the seafoam in the tank/carbs over the past day must have loosened up whatever was gummed up in the carbs. Today the bike ran like a champ with no hesitation at all. I ran the gas down to the point that the fuel light came on and I topped it back off. It looks like I may be ok without doing the carb's for now. It's suppose to rain on Saturday so I will likely do the 6mm washer mod for the rear shock but as of now I'm not planning on tearing into the carbs.

Great.. well that was easy! My brother in law has a 98 and his has a hesitation when you whack it open at around 5k, but his seems to be a bit more permanent. He ran a crap load of SeaFoam through it and it never improved. We're gonna do the FP jet kit to his soon too.