CBR1100XX.org Forum

Zxxx questions

Chewtoy

So, now I'm thinking hard about the Zxxx conversion, and a couple of questions came up.

Front:

Are the fork tubes different diameter than the BBird?

If so, does the top clamp has enough meat around the clamps to be bored out for use w/the Kwaker tubes?

Can the stem be pressed out of a bbird triple clamp and into the Kwaker bottom triple?

If this is done, how does the dimensions for the front tire/disk - caliper change?

If the ZX top triple has to be used, how does the Honda ignition switch/lock integrate?

Rear:

If you put the ZX14 rear wheel on the BBird swingarm, can the bearings and sprocket bushing be replaced to use the stock bbird axle?

Since this was done already and the bbird arm was hogged out to accomidate the axle, then I assume (bad thing to do), that setting up spacers to align the rear wheel / chain / brake was do-able without too much drama

The direction I'm going is to make just anough changes to put the parts on and leave the bbird as stock looking as possible. The lighter ZX wheels and more adjustible forks make this mod a pretty attractive proposition.

Thanks

So, now I'm thinking hard about the Zxxx conversion, and a couple of questions came up.

Front:

Are the fork tubes different diameter than the BBird?

If so, does the top clamp has enough meat around the clamps to be bored out for use w/the Kwaker tubes?

Can the stem be pressed out of a bbird triple clamp and into the Kwaker bottom triple?

If this is done, how does the dimensions for the front tire/disk - caliper change?

If the ZX top triple has to be used, how does the Honda ignition switch/lock integrate?

Rear:

If you put the ZX14 rear wheel on the BBird swingarm, can the bearings and sprocket bushing be replaced to use the stock bbird axle?

Since this was done already and the bbird arm was hogged out to accomidate the axle, then I assume (bad thing to do), that setting up spacers to align the rear wheel / chain / brake was do-able without too much drama

The direction I'm going is to make just anough changes to put the parts on and leave the bbird as stock looking as possible. The lighter ZX wheels and more adjustible forks make this mod a pretty attractive proposition.

Thanks

There's no way the XX upper clamp is going to work, the ZX forks are USD, so where they meet the upper clamp they're at least a good 7-8mm larger in diameter. Then you've got differences in spacing, offset, etc. Huge headache and unknown results just to keep some visual points, if it's even possible.

You're over complicating it, IMO. It's almost a direct swap if you do the whole front end.

Reds right.

The xx triple is steel, zx aluminum. So no, you can't use the xx stem in the zx stem's place. Has to be welded.

I have a honda top triple from a rc51. But, modified. I did modify a zx to use the honda key and it worked the bar lock too.

No the bearing swap in the rear wheel to use the xx axle was not looked at. Thought the larger axle was a plus. Adjusters for the larger axle that matched the xx adjusters, just happened to be in my parts bin. Have no idea what they were from.

The top bearings that I used are available, but not cheap. Seams like they were 100 bucks a piece and used two.

I looked at the numbers on the upper bearing cup adapter. It is so close, the only way to know for sure is to do it. So that is next.

I could be approached on the swing arm and top triple.

Thanks Red and xxQuad.

Should have known about the USD forks, duh. Too bad about the stem, I'm watching the other thread about the top bearing with interest.

Using the Kawa top triples means using Kawa handlebars, not a big deal I guess, and it's good to hear the Honda ignition can be made to fit.

I'll think about this a bit more and see if I can scrounge up some bits. May try to do this when my current tires wear out.

Any other thoughts, please let me know, and thank you.

Might as well go the rest of the way, too, and use the ZX14 swingarm. It's a direct fit. It does require custom dogbones, though. Stan hooked me up with those.

I'll consider it!

Assuming that spacing needs to be adjusted to align w/the front sprocket.

Speaking of which, can the Kwaker rear sprocket be had w/BBird stock # of teeth? New sprocked cost vs speedo healer cost.

Gracias.

Assuming that spacing needs to be adjusted to align w/the front sprocket.

It doesn't need to be adjusted.

Speaking of which, can the Kwaker rear sprocket be had w/BBird stock # of teeth? New sprocked cost vs speedo healer cost.

A ZX14 rear sprocket can be obtained with the number of teeth on a stock Blackbird rear sprocket, yes.

Using the Kawa top triples means using Kawa handlebars, not a big deal I guess, and it's good to hear the Honda ignition can be made to fit.

I thought the ZX-14 bars wouldn't work -- they mount right to the triples so you can't adjust the angle to get clearance. Aftermarket clipons clamp onto the fork tubes and pretty much everything is available in the ZX-14's size (50mm) -- but if you like the height of the XX's stock bars (or want more rise) you'll find that riser clipons aren't cheap.

On a related note, has anyone used a ZX-14 clutch master? I've heard it's a quality unit, and it would be nice to have matching reservoirs on each side.

Here's a thread on this w/pictures: http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...l=zxxx&st=0

And another one: http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...573&hl=zxxx

Looks like the ZX bars are an acceptible fit to the BB bodywork

where it is now...

OK, what's that top triple off of and what was required to make that work?

Also, what are the bars?

Why did you change from the Kwaker Top triple? Are they higher? Lower? easier to set for your wants?

Um, also heard that the ZX front master was a super-duper double throw down part. Has anyone tried using the CBR master to drive the Kawa front brakes?

Thanks!

Might as well go the rest of the way, too, and use the ZX14 swingarm. It's a direct fit. It does require custom dogbones, though. Stan hooked me up with those.

CBR or Kwaker shock?

where it is now...

OK, what's that top triple off of and what was required to make that work?

Also, what are the bars?

Why did you change from the Kwaker Top triple? Are they higher? Lower? easier to set for your wants?

Um, also heard that the ZX front master was a super-duper double throw down part. Has anyone tried using the CBR master to drive the Kawa front brakes?

Thanks!

CBR or Kwaker shock?

The top is a honda rc51, but not the sp1. The location of the stem is off the zx location. And smaller. So I had to open the hole in the correct location on the mill. I did it to get back the honda look. All else is the same. I used the stock zx tripple and bars and it worked, but I put the risers from Heli. The bars are tommaselli and from Australia and trick trick trick. fully adjustable in every way. And just because I could get the bars where I wanted, or change to where I thought I did..

The zx radial master is made by the same as the xx people Nissian. It is what I am using. But the radial brakes are the best.

Rear shock is the zx14 one, Skull used the Concours one.

Thanks

the zx wheels are actually 3-4 lbs heavier.

Thanks

Hmmm, Quad said they were lighter.

Thanks

I did? Humm, never weighed them myself. Guess I could. Of course the rear is bigger. Sorry if I was wrong.

Thanks

I did? Humm, never weighed them myself. Guess I could. Of course the rear is bigger. Sorry if I was wrong.

no prob, there are lot of items in the docket here before this comes up, plenty of time to consider it.