CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID Conversion Kit recommendations needed

blkbrdrydr

Who sells the best HID conversion kits to use in motorcycles?

I know that Warchild picked his up from Baja Designs but does anyone else have experience with other suppliers?

How difficult was the installation and how close to the lights did the Ballast need to be? Where did you mount it?

Thanks,

Try:

http://www.xenondepot.com

They're up in Ontario CA. They are priced reasonably and are willing to work with motorcyclists (alot of HID shops will only sell you HID lamps in pairs) A single H7 HID in the blackbirds low beam makes a world of difference - I hardly see my highbeam anymore and only use it for daytime use. Also, because of the way the blackbirds reflector is set up I don't seem to really bother oncoming traffic.

Good Luck. :grin:

This is the place! misterjung Scroll to the bottom and pick out a package for you or replacement parts if you need.

This is the place to beat. They have H7's at incredible prices. You choose the color/output of the light, they put the package together. I got mine last winter, and have had zero problems. Great people to work with also.

If you have a 97/98, you can mount like this:

fc316006.jpg

fc315ff3.jpg

fc315fed.jpg

If you have an injected model, you have to mount the ballasts under the seat and use longer wires to tap into everything. Warchild has a great write-up on his page.

Good luck!

Sean.

No other place for the ballasts than under the seat on FI models?

What type of wiring is actually running between the ballasts and bulbs? Anything special or just normal wire that can be soldered, heat shrinked, and loomed?

I've read about mrjung.com on the ST.N list and someone there refers to him as Mr. Junk. Obviously, many people don't agree.

Thanks for posting the photos.

I mounted two ballasts like the ones shown above in my '03.

They fit inside the nose cowling but it took some creative zip-tying to do so.

I would not have wanted to install them beneath the seat, it would have been a major hassle.

These were HID kits purchased from mrjung.

One thing - on my bike the aiming was adjusted very low and I had to move the beam up quite a bit. Make sure you check this before you reinstall the windshield.

I mounted two ballasts like the ones shown above in my '03. They fit inside the nose cowling but it took some creative zip-tying to do so.

I would not have wanted to install them beneath the seat, it would have been a major hassle.

These were HID kits purchased from mrjung.

One thing - on my bike the aiming was adjusted very low and I had to move the beam up quite a bit. Make sure you check this before you reinstall the windshield.

I don't understand what you mean about aiming being low and moving the beam upward.

I'm glad to know that the ballasts actually can fit into the front cowl.

Bill..........I politely suggest you read my earlier post.

I just did. Damn... that was several days ago and I'd completely forgotten that you'd already mentioned the mounting location.

Of all the things that I've lost over the years... I think that I miss my mind the most.

My bird is injected and I managed to put both of the ballasts in the nose cowl. They are the same ballasts as shown in the pictures in this thread.

The aiming adjusters for the light are hard or impossible to reach with the windshield installed. I got a lot more light on the road when I moved the beam up, there is a very sharp cutoff and if it's aimed too low all you see is an oval 10 feet in front of the bike.

I havent measured the current draw yet but... both together should draw about ~80 watts as compared to over 100 for the stock bulbs (is the stock h7 a 50 or 55 watt bulb? I dont remember) so there should be more energy left for other accessories when using HID.

As a follow on to my last post, I should have mentioned that you have to zip tiethe ballasts to the frame the nose cowl bolts onto. The wires are more than long enough to accomplish this. It's a heck of a lot better than having to put them under the seat, IMHO.

Molson.....did you mean the adjusting knobs are obscured by the ballasts, or you can't reach them anyway? In stock form, they are reasonably accessable from underneath.

A ballast is in the way of reaching them from below. It's a good thing the windshield is easy to remove/replace...