CBR1100XX.org Forum

Car transmission question

The Krypt Keeper

My charger is due for some service and was wondering about the transmission flush.

I have always done the filter and fluid change on my cars and trucks, and wondering just how good the fluid flush is by taking it to a shop?

Do they also change the filter or just cycle the fluid for new?

Will be elbows deep in doing plugs, timing belt, radiator flush and brakes, and other little crap.

Just a thought as I hear about it often..

It depends on who you ask and what products they are using.

For instance, here at our Nissan, we don't do flushes on most vehicles, we do drain and fills, and the customer is notified of that in advance. We don't have enough machines to do flushes for everything (as our fluids can't be mixed with different types), and the cost of said flush is prohibitive. You can't replace the filter in a Nissan transmission, as it is non-serviceable (good for life of vehicle). We do have a flush machine, but it is only set up for Matic D transmissions, as everything we sold up until 2002 had a Matic D type trans.

The machine uses pressure, and is typically attached where the cooler lines come out. Old fluid is sucked out, and new fluid is pushed in, which completely changes all the fluid in the trans, torque convertor included. We always run 12 quarts through, which is far more than any of our transmissions hold, to ensure complete fluid exchange. A drain and fill only changes what's in the valve body and pan, and while it's not complete, it's better than doing no service to it at all. With our fluids costing 12 to 23 dollars a quart, you can understand why customers opt for that. In case you are wondering, in 5.5 years of being here, we have NEVER had a transmission failure with customers who did this service. Those who do nothing, that's a whole other story.

Thanks for the reply Furbird.

Like you mentioned the flush will get all the fluid where as only dropping the pan and doing a filter and fill back up don't allow you to get all the fluid in the converter unless you feel like pulling the tranny and do it.

The new chargers are designed with not even having a dipstick for the trans. You can buy them aftermarket though but they come with just a plug over the end of the tube from the factory. I figure on just dropping the pan and doing the filter and measuring the amount of fluid removed and adding new back into the system.

The car is driven over 30k miles a yr for work and thats all mostly highway miles (94 mile round trip for work)

Thanks again.

The new chargers are designed with not even having a dipstick for the trans.

Might just be me but that sounds like a really bad idea. So down the road and has a small leak that might not even be noticed, I guess when the car stops moving is when you will know it needs fluid. :icon_confused:

Honda recommends a different way of doing a trans service that might work for you.

You drain the trans and refill, then put it through a couple drive cycles.

Repeat this 3 times.

By the third time you've used 9 qts of trans fluid for a trans that holds half that (approx).

Not the same as a real flush with a machine, but much cheaper.

The new chargers are designed with not even having a dipstick for the trans.

Might just be me but that sounds like a really bad idea. So down the road and has a small leak that might not even be noticed, I guess when the car stops moving is when you will know it needs fluid. :icon_confused:

no its not just you, Best thing is the early models did have an trans o-ring leak that allowed them to dribble fluid out. Guess you just park in the same spots over and over and pull up several feet from time to time to check for leaks.

Sparkplugs on my car.. remove intake manifold.. I am sure there is some special tool only the dealers have to get around this but in the real world its quicker to just remove the intake manifold.

security on them suck, I could break into a charger in about 10 seconds by unlocking the door from the outside. Couldn't steal the car as I don't know that kinda crap but getting inside the car and trunk is super easy.

Most of the Nissan's with the V6 have to have the upper plenum removed to do spark plugs. No special tools. 3.5 V6, the upper plenum gasket (which you can only get from us) is like $30 or so. Most aftermarket shops reuse the stock one, then they come to us to get the gasket replaced due to SES light on.

Old fluid is sucked out, and new fluid is pushed in, which completely changes all the fluid in the trans, torque convertor included. We always run 12 quarts through, which is far more than any of our transmissions hold, to ensure complete fluid exchange. A drain and fill only changes what's in the valve body and pan, and while it's not complete, it's better than doing no service to it at all. With our fluids costing 12 to 23 dollars a quart, you can understand why customers opt for that. In case you are wondering, in 5.5 years of being here, we have NEVER had a transmission failure with customers who did this service. Those who do nothing, that's a whole other story.

+1

All of it, great stuff.

The new chargers are designed with not even having a dipstick for the trans. You can buy them aftermarket though but they come with just a plug over the end of the tube from the factory. I figure on just dropping the pan and doing the filter and measuring the amount of fluid removed and adding new back into the system.

Just did a drain and fill on my buddies Mercedes c280. Same setup with no dipstick. Had to buy an aftermarket dipstick just as you described. But whats more..the dipstick had two lines on it with two temperature readings in celcius. I was told the way you checked it was to ping the tranny pan with an infrared temp sensor, then match it to the two lines on the dipstick. Good times. Not only that, the pan AND the tc both had a drain plug. Was able to get about 8 quarts out. Figured that was as good as it got. German engineering at its best.