CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dodge Neon Tranny Codes Help

RXX

My '02 neon finally went all "check engine light" on me yesterday. I got it home & did the code scout thingy on it and got 2 codes..... 7000 & 7040. Both are transmission control types. I have plenty of fluid, but I know the time has come for a rebuild/replace. UNLESS the codes refer to a couple of very easy inexpensive control module type repairs, I will set the car aside for a month or so & build up some cash to get it rebuilt. I paid $900 for the very clean, good running car a few years back and do not mind dropping a grand or so into it, but would rather spend $400 for a new solenoid or other more innocuous repair.

Those aren't tranny codes. They should start with a P... For example the closest trouble code for the numbers you list are.

P0740= Torque Converter Clutch Control Circuit.

Is the trans in "limp mode"? Does it start in second gear when driving? More info please.

Those aren't tranny codes. They should start with a P... For example the closest trouble code for the numbers you list are.

P0740= Torque Converter Clutch Control Circuit.

Is the trans in "limp mode"? Does it start in second gear when driving? More info please.

They both start with P (I did not know that was a critical part of the code, sorry)

P0740 and P0700

I was on the highway when they lit up. Car drove another 8 miles or so OK. I knew the tranny was due for a rebuild, so this was no huge surprise. Did not notice is it was in limp mode or what gear it was in.

I just found an '03 neon at pull a part that was brought in last week. I am going to check it out, their transmissions are only like $55, which seems like a steal to me. I think an '02 can use an '03 trans, but I will call a shop today & find out before I purchase it.

Thanks, any help is appreciated!

Now we're getting somewhere. The P0740 is what the other guy said, but it is causing your P0700, as that is the Transmission Control Unit. It's pretty common for both to hit at the same time, as the failure of the first part causes the issue with the second code. It's the solenoid pack, and it's more than the whole trans from Pull-A-Part. However, it is on the outside of the case. I would suggest buying the whole thing, putting the pack on your current trans, and rock out until the actual trans goes out, then you already have one for less than just the pack would cost from the dealer.