CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gas spilling on start/dirty carbs

FloridaSilverBird

The bird has been sitting for about a year and a half. I tried starting it up and it was having trouble but after about 30 seconds I noticed that it was spilling a huge amount of gas right out of the overflow pipes leading to the carbs. I suspected a stuck float or the jets were completely gummed up so I started to disassemble them, but I have no idea how to reach the boot screws facing forward as there is only about 2 cm of clearance and I would have to unscrew it at about a 45 degree angle at best. It looks like I would have to take the engine out of the frame to reach them?

Also, when draining the bowls one of them looked to have normal gas, two had neon green gas, and the other looked like it may have been contaminate with some oil..

Any advise or directions to pertinent threads would be appreciated.

To take the boots loose from the cylinder head end after loosening the clamps, start by wiggling them front to back...Then you will probably have to pry them off the head by using a bar against the frame, under a piece of the carb...don't use to much force and try 1 side and then the other...

To get the screws on the clamps loose, I use a 5/16" socket. I then add a 2" extension, a flex joint and then another 2" extension, all turned by a 1/4" drive ratchet till loose enough to turn by hand. They are accessed under the float bowls.

Sounds like the carbs will need a good going through...

To get the screws on the clamps loose, I use a 5/16" socket. I then add a 2" extension, a flex joint and then another 2" extension, all turned by a 1/4" drive ratchet till loose enough to turn by hand. They are accessed under the float bowls.

Till loose enough to turn by hand? I couldn't get my 2 year old niece's hand to fit between the carbs and the engine. Only the bottom clamps are accessible from under the float bowls, and so they are easy with someone with small hands like me to get to. The ones I am having trouble with are beneath the black covers. I can only access the one on the left side of the engine.

Patch!

Good to see you posting again, man.

Oh dear, I was hoping you would have forgotten by now :icon_silenced:

Good to see you anyhow, Red. :)

What black covers are you talking about?

The top of the carbs or the air box?

If its the air box, you're SOL with me...I don't use one.

Lemme know...

I'm refering to the four black covers which house the vacuum chambers.

Held on by small Phillips head screws...or the Japanese equivalent...

Is that what you can't loosen?

Held on by small Phillips head screws...or the Japanese equivalent...

Is that what you can't loosen?

I'm trying to clean the carbs, and so I want to take the whole assembly off the engine. Here is a writeup for a different bike:

http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96888

There are two clamps for each cylinder, one facing forward and one facing backward. The ones facing backward which are underneath the floats are easy to get to. The ones facing forward and are underneath the vacuum chambers have almost no clearance. I have loosened all the ones facing back and the one facing the front on the far left cylinder. The other three clamps I do not know how to get to. I can wiggle the assembly but I don't think I can pry it off without loosening the other three cylinders.

I gotcha now...

One set of clamps loosens the carbs from the rubber manifolds, also called insulators.

One set of clamps loosens the carbs and insulators from the cylinder head.

Loosen 1 set of clamps or the other...no need to loosen both.

I always loosen the clamps closest to the head and remove the insulators with the carbs.

Make sure you back the clamp screws out far enough and the carb assembly should lift up as I described before.

When you get to cleaning, I wouldn't recommend splitting the carb rack apart down to the individual bodies, but rather work on the bank of 4 intact.

You will also need a special tool to remove, replace and adjust the fuel screws.

They are available aftermarket as well as OEM.

If gas is spilling out from the overflow. I would pay perticular attention to the needles and seats. You could have a bad one. Which would cause it to stick. Thus sreating the overflow. Good luck. Hope you find the problem. That was mine on a differnt bike. I can't tell you how many times I had the carbs off, before figuring it out.