CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain and sprockets.... [never mind]

Well, the chain shortening bit didn't work. Need 110, now it's a 108. The removed link I was thinking of putting back in with two master links, but it got damaged by the Dremmel tool in such a way that I won't risk reusing it.

So, since I have a spare set of sprockets in the stock gearing and ordered a new 110-link chain, I'm just going to swap it all out rather than put a new chain on old sprockets.

I put these on the XX about 10/2009 with 65,100 on the odometer. It's now about 71,000 +/- on the odometer. All with a Pro-Oiler maintaining the chain.

This is JuXXtin's special gearing

Went with 530 ZVM2 110 link chain

18T in front and 42T in rear. 43T rear.

If you have a master link lying around and can use a 108-link chain, make an offer. Want the sprockets? Ditto. My EFI map does more than enough to deal with fuel savings, so the special gearing isn't doing me much good to put a new chain on slightly used sprockets.

*EDIT*

Someone is sending me some spare links to put this chain back together with.

Personally I'd ask around for a link for your chain. Lots of people buy the 120's and cut them down.

I thought of that too.

In contrast, anyone have a few good links of 530 x-ring chain they aren't using I could have to put this chain back on?

Aurora, JuXXtin went with an 18 F/43 R setup to get better fuel mileage. Sacrifices some power, but if you do a lot of touring, you don't miss it. At best, you just ride the lower gears longer before shifting. Normally gets 200 miles before he needs gas. My PCII map is already doing that and using JuXXtin's gearing didn't really add to that.

I have a five-link piece of DID 530 x-ring. It's marked 50 ZVS. It's been hanging on a nail waiting for you.

pm your address and I'll send it to you.

Walt

If anyone else needs some 525...I have a seven-link DID piece marked 525 V8.

If memory serves, the 50ZVS is the OEM DID chain. It is not the same chain as the 530ZVM. The ZVS pins are a different size and it takes a different master link than a ZVM.

Ah man! That's a bummer.

See...that would be my luck if I drove one hour to buy a masterlink right before a big trip.

I'd get home and.....Fu@#!

Hmm. Does that mean the links you sent won't work? If so, I guess if anyone has some spare 530 links lying about....

Ah man! That's a bummer.

See...that would be my luck if I drove one hour to buy a masterlink right before a big trip.

That's almost exactly what happened to me the day before the first OzarXX. I screwed up an OEM (ZVS?) link and bought a ZVM link to replace it. The ZVM link locked the adjacent links up when I pressed it in.

Ah man! That's a bummer.

Hmm. Does that mean the links you sent won't work? If so, I guess if anyone has some spare 530 links lying about....

I've got a few, but as addressed here, all 530 links are not created equal. What exact model is your chain? If I'm understanding correctly you need ZVM2 links? Pretty sure I have a short length of that in the toolbox somewhere.

Ah man! That's a bummer.

I've got a few, but as addressed here, all 530 links are not created equal. What exact model is your chain? If I'm understanding correctly you need ZVM2 links? Pretty sure I have a short length of that in the toolbox somewhere.

:icon_evil:

Great. So isn't that rather screwy? Is it the female link part or the master link that's different? I'm pretty certain the current chain is a ZVM2, but that might explain the "tightness" of the master link.

Putting it on, I FUBARed the master link that came with the chain, so I just used one of the spares I had lying around (initially bought 2, always keep a spare...just in case). There was always a tightness at the master link, but I just figured I pressed the link together too much before taping in the rivets.