CBR1100XX.org Forum

Thermostat Question

jon haney

I hear a lot about Birds that run hot, but I'm seem to have the opposite problem. Going down the highway, at anything less than 90 degrees, the needle on the heat gauge is barely in the normal range. I think this is why my Bird makes such terrible gas mileage. About 35 MPG, if I keep near the speed limit. :icon_confused:

Does anybody on here know if there are any car thermostats that will work in the BB?

$40 for a new one seems a little steep.

On the highway mine sits about 80C. Since I'm getting 45+MPG at 80MPH with full Givi luggage.

I use to get 30-35MPG but after a PC3 and a dyno tune it's gone up a lot.

The bird runs hot in traffic,and in the city soon as I hit the highway it pretty much stays at 80C.

I think the gauges are not representative of any actual temp that is relative. What is the real temp of the raditaor and what is the temp of the engine? Really???

Engine temp needs to be high enough to vapor off any condensate that accumulates from heat cycling. 212 deg f. Boiling you know..

Most thermostats should be put in a pan and with a real thermometer brought to opening temp to know if it need replacemant.

I also measure the temp of the water in the radiator when it opens.

then and only then wonder what if..

A hot engine is a happy engine...

Sooooo..........I guess the answer to my question is "no".

Thanks for the advice about testing the thermostat and installing a PC. I was hoping to avoid the $300 fix for bad gas mileage. :icon_confused:

Sooooo..........I guess the answer to my question is "no".

Thanks for the advice about testing the thermostat and installing a PC. I was hoping to avoid the $300 fix for bad gas mileage. :icon_confused:

Yes, I know of no car thermo's that will fit. But, you should find out if it is the problem first. Does it overheat, ever?

Stuck open would be cold to start with and then overheat over time, due to not holding the water long enough in the radiator to remove heat.

Look in the radiator cap hole to see if the water flows cold.

Is it closed when out? What temp does it open in a pan?

Yeah, I know...

Never over-heats, unless you're talking about the rider.LOL

Haven't had the thermostat out yet. I will try looking in the fill hole for flow when it's cold.

I should know all this diagnosis stuff, but I guess you don't think about it when you never have problems. :icon_redface:

Yes, I know. Knocking on wood already.

Never over-heats, unless you're talking about the rider.LOL

Haven't had the thermostat out yet. I will try looking in the fill hole for flow when it's cold.

I should know all this diagnosis stuff, but I guess you don't think about it when you never have problems. :icon_redface:

Yes, I know. Knocking on wood already.

I know you know this, we all need help to remember what to do. Some have done it so much it is easier to see, and remember. Sometimes it is easier to see if your not involved, closely. I have to step back, maybe take a nap, or go to sleep, or something else. Some times it takes a while. Sometimes months.

Help, helps.