CBR1100XX.org Forum

Spark Plugs - (quick question)?

Obby

depends on the plugs,

the IMR9A-9H are approx. two times more expensive then the other Iridium plugs.

Does the XX REQUIRE Iridium plugs, or are they the preferred type?

Is that the Part# for the Honda plug, or is that another supplier?

Just checked, I've got 19,000 km on the odometer, and origional plugs. I smell gas when at idle, and mileage is down. I guess its time to change them.

Birdrunner, consensus is about 8,000-12,000 miles to change your plugs (if you are looking to keep performance). They come pre-gapped so don't touch the platinum's (OEM) if you go that route as the platinum is very thin. Many guys do seem to be going with the Iridium's as they are lasting longer 10,000-15,000 miles. I will be doing Iridium this next round to see if they stay "fresh" longer.

Would someone please post the different plug part numbers. Mounty has me curious?????

Platinum

Iridium

Expensive Iridium (Mounty's)

What's the difference?

MaXX

ok, just called my local favorite shop and for the

CR9EHIX-9 was quoted $6.99

my not so favorite shop has the same plugs for $7.15

another even less favorite shop has the same plugs for $9.75

Unfortunately, i do want the platinums, so i was looking for part:

CR9EHVX-9 like the manual says. All 3 above say they don't carry those anymore, they were "replaced" by the iridiums CR9EHIX-9.

CR9EHVX-9 like the manual says. All 3 above say they don't carry those anymore, they were "replaced" by the iridiums CR9EHIX-9.

And they are 100% correct.

You want the irridums because they have a significantly longer lifespan than the platinum equivalents.

And they are 100% correct.

You want the irridums because they have a significantly longer lifespan than the platinum equivalents.

...but even in your guide you mention using the platinums. ack. i guess i'll get the iridiums then. that store is closer. :wink:

my MPG is piss poor right now, so we'll see if it just stays the same with the iridiums, or improves like with a regular spark plug change. i'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

...but even in your guide you mention using the platinums. ack.

Well, that was true in August 2000 when I wrote that... but my shit is now outdated (and I must fix that, truly). The IMR9A-9H Irridum plug came out starting with the 2001 Blackbird. The CR9EHIX-9 is the Irridium replacement for the platinum CR9EHVX-9 found on pre-2001 Blackbirds.

Confused yet? confused.gif Don't be... get the Irridiums and install them in your XX. Trust me.

my MPG is piss poor right now, so we'll see if it just stays the same with the iridiums, or improves like with a regular spark plug change. i'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

The 8K interval for the platinums I use to think was a joke, but it's not. That ultra-thin platinum coating wears away by 8K-ish, and you'll have piss-poor power and piss-poor MPG once that occurs. Now, mind you, you may not realized a serious jump in power or MPG with a *fresh* pair of irridiums vice a *fresh* set of platinums, but you WILL enjoy a significantly longer sparkplug lifespan with the Irridiums, and that's their true advantage.

Too, given your description of your engine at the moment, you will be happy as a clam with the new Irridium plugs, I can just about gaurantee that.

ngk_iridu.jpg

Ok... I've done my homework now...

Product ID: CR9EHIX-9 Category: Electrical

NGK IRIDIUM SPARK PLUG

Description: It may be time to invest in precious metal futures. NGK Iridium Spark Plugs represent the ultimate evolution of spark plug technology and performance. Iridium allows for a center electrode 75 percent the size of a platinum electrode and 24 percent the size of a conventional nickel electrode. The fine electrode tip is engineered for greater ignitability. And it's in the design of the iridium tip that makes Iridium IX a better spark plug. The electrode is not too thin and not too thick. It's just the right size to reduce the voltage required for spark and to maximize the overall longer life qualities of iridium.

Price: $9.75

Here's where I found the info.

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/detail.as...ct_id=CR9EHIX-9

... :wink:

Well, as far as I know from model 1999 onwards Iridium plugs are required by Honda.

The NGK CR9EHIX-9 for model 1999 and 2000.

The NGK IMR9A-9H for model 2001 onwards

The price in Germany for them is approx.

~$29 for the IMR9A-9H

~$15 for CR9EHIX-9

Before I changed my plugs for my 2001 model I inspected both types. Visually there was no difference between them – the rest I don’t know. Looking into the NGK spark plug specifications I couldn’t find any information about the differences. Therefore I decided to go with the cheaper ones. While driving I can’t recognize any differences - so they are fine for me since the last 10.000km.

Thanks, I think. With my 98, the replacement plugs for the Platinums (which if I understand you correctly, are no longer available? or just obsoleted by the new Iridiums?) is CR9EHIX-9. The post 2001 bikes have another Iridium Plug (the more expensive one....). OK, got it. I do love the fresh platinums, hopefully the Iridiums provide the same "ass dyno" effect.

Warchild, I have always changed my Platinums at 8-10K miles. When should I be looking to change my Iridiums???

MaXX

Confused yet? confused.gif Don't be... get the Irridiums and install them in your XX. Trust me.

Too, given your description of your engine at the moment, you will be happy as a clam with the new Irridium plugs, I can just about gaurantee that.

well, with a little (lot?) help from SDMarc I changed out the plugs and installed the iridiums, as that was what my fave shop had. FYI: $6.99 - 10% for each plug.

bike (obviously) runs more smoothly, i can feel the power again like when i first bought the bike, and most noticably downshifts and engine braking in general are much smoother.

(i also replaced my very dirty air filter, which I'm sure helped the power situation.)

so i'm sure you were right, i wouldn't notice a difference between a new set of iridiums or a new set of platinums, either would be so much better than the 11,000 mile old platinum set that was in there.

in conclusion- hooray for new plugs! :beer:

now that I know how the bike should sound again, the nice grinding of my CCT is more noticable. time to pop in the X11 CCT that joe sent me, and she'll be quiet as a dream.

well, thx for posting tweety, i bought new plugs and new K&N air filter last month, but then decided not to install 'cause my plugs are only about 1800 miles old.

i'm concerned about poor mileage (31mpg) and thought i smelled gas too. was thinking i need to check all the fuel lines. she seems to be running a little hot (215 typ. except on highway), would that have a negative effect on mileage? i think i'll go ahead do the demineralized/deionized/waterwetter routine too.

David

215 would not be unusual if you are on an FI XX (stop and go I'm consistantly at 218-225 and I'm exhaust wrapped AND water wettered).

31mpg would not be unusual if you are on a FI XX especially if you've added pipes and not pc'd her (less than 30mpg happened to me with my new pipe system before i had my pc3 added)

as for the smell of gas, I get that every now and then, but usually attribute it to the gas and not to the bike (poor detonating gas)

my bikes a 2002, pc3, 2bros full, btw

Hey Obby, don't you have a '97 carbed bird? If so,

you don't need the iridium. You can use the platinum

(which is what the shop manual recommends).

I bought the plugs I needed from www.clubplug.com and

got them for like $5.0 a piece. Go there and check bud!

(I bought 8 of 'em)

:cool: TJ :cool:

I was quoted $15.00 ea. for the iridium plugs. Does that sound right?