CBR1100XX.org Forum

the magic shim

cecome

Bike is riding itself at this point. Just about like autopilot. Feels about 150 to 200 lbs lighter. If you haven't done the shim, don't give it another thought, just do it!!!

Does this make the bike more twitchy?

I don't think you can make a 530 lb. bike twitchy. LOL

I actually used a 4 mm shim (for the vertically challenged) and didn't notice any change as far as stability, just steered a little quicker. When I put on some light weight wheels, the steering effort went way down, but I wouldn't call it twitchy. the bike just feels a lot smaller.

Then you come to a stop and the dream is over. :icon_frown:

Does this make the bike more twitchy?

I don't think you can make a 530 lb. bike twitchy. LOL

I actually used a 4 mm shim (for the vertically challenged) and didn't notice any change as far as stability, just steered a little quicker. When I put on some light weight wheels, the steering effort went way down, but I wouldn't call it twitchy. the bike just feels a lot smaller.

Then you come to a stop and the dream is over. :icon_frown:

yep 5.3mm shim here (I am also short) got a shaved seated raised bars up some and the ride is great. Put some nice sport tires on instead of touring tires and you think the bike will fall over on you the first couple miles.

• 2 months later...

I'm 6'4" so the 6mm shim was not too tall. What a difference it makes in response.

Like Crypt Keeper said, pairing it with some sticky tires makes the bird feel a lot more like one of the newer sport bikes, but with the power and smooth behavior we expect of the birds.

I definitely reccomend this change.

Welcome to 1997....... :icon_biggrin:

Hey, I checked, it wasn't that much of a thread resurrection! :icon_biggrin:

Personally, I'd been intending to install the silly thing since about a month after I bought the bike, just lost it a time or ten along the way...

Definitely handles better than my old CBR 600 F2 did, no matter the weight of the bike!