CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sag questions

LogoMan

Eric, that's pretty much just instructions on how to set sag with very little other info. Not sure I see the point, other than he recommends the same sag front and rear.

More sag on the front or less sag on the rear will make the bike turn more slowly.

That seems totally backwards to me. Since when does lowering the front or raising the rear slow steering?

Anyway, an "imbalance" in front to rear sag is pretty common. Nothing wrong with setting it the same front and back, but don't marry yourself to the concept, it's simply not that cut and dry. Call it a good starting point.

Yes, I know it's basic, and yes part of the point is just that, same front and rear for universal applications, like street riding.

Oh and I'm not married to anything, I'm pretty much willing to learn every day.

Speaking of that...

I wish somebody would point to some examples or explain why setting up unbalanced works, other than their opinion, I'd love to read it.

"Speaking of that...

I wish somebody would point to some examples or explain why setting up unbalanced works, other than their opinion, I'd love to read it."

Depends on the definition of "balance".Balance of suspension`s rebound and compression action ? Yea, they should be balanced.

Balance of "sags" is not that important,during performance cornering bike is never really at steady speed.Of course there are some exceptions to this rule,like Carousel at Road America but 90% of the time you are either accelerating or braking or just slowing down by rolling off the throttle.

So you set it up for that 90% and deal with the remaining 10% since set upset is the compromise anyway.

Now,let`s tackle negative travel springs in modern forks and why old school of setting the sag to 30-35 mm for the track usage is totally wrong in this case.

• 2 weeks later...
It is all academic discussion.

Race Tech springs are black in colour,I don`t think he would want them anyway.

Stock front springs are almost of correct rate for that weight range,you can`t take those calculators too seriously.

1.2 would be waaaaaaaaaay too stiff.

+1 I'm ~300lb's and running 1.2's and I wouldn't go any heavier :icon_confused: @~220lb's they would be way too stiff :icon_surprised: